VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Channing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB backup startup question

Quick question and I think I know the answer but just want to confirm...during the start of a VCB backup, does the VCB proxy have to be able to ping the virtual machine in order for the backup to start successfully?

My thoughts are that, like vmotion and virtual center, VCB WILL try and ping the VM before attempting to create and mount the snapshot. If it can not ping the VM the snapshot is not created nor mounted and the backup fails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
beckmana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

network connectivity to the vm is not required, you can use the parameter uuid instead of ipaddr

Andreas

Message was edited by:

beckmana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You just require network connectivity to VirtualCenter (or the ESX host if you're not using VirtualCenter) - page 5 here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_consolidated_backup.pdf

If you did require network connectivity to the VM itself that would create less than desirable deployements in which you would have to put the proxy server into a DMZ or you would have to deal with hosts / network that don't allow ICMP traffic.

0 Kudos
beckmana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

network connectivity to the vm is not required, you can use the parameter uuid instead of ipaddr

Andreas

Message was edited by:

beckmana

0 Kudos