VMware Cloud Community
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB backup causing ESX host to crash!

I had actually previously replaced the entire machine because I thought this had to be a hardware fault causing a crash. Yet, when I run my automated VCB backup script that mounts a VM to copy it to local storage on the VCB proxy, after some time during the copy, the entire ESX host dies. I can only ping the service console fine. I am not able to SSH, ping any VMs, or access the VI client.

There is a rise in usage when vcbMounter connects and starts copying the VM. But even if usage was too high this should only slow down the host and not cause a crash correct?

The VMs are stored on local storage on the host. There is no SAN or iSCSI setup.

I have not yet been able to get a snapshot of the console during this time. But what logs can I start checking to see if I can find a reason for the crash? It is disturbing that everything runs stable until the VCB proxy tries to do a backup...

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kucharski
Commander
Commander

Can you please provide a little bit information. ESX version, VC verison, VCB version and backup type.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes sure,

ESX 3.5 Update 1

VCB Mounter Version 1.1.0 (build-64559)

There is no VC as there are only 2 ESX servers. The following string is used in my script to mount the VM (this is where it crashes sometime during mounting):

"c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vcbMounter.exe" -h %ESXIP% -u %BUSER% -p %BPASS% -a ipaddr:%VMIP% -r %VMTEMP%\%3 -t fullvm -m nbd

%ESXIP%, %BUSER%, %BPASS%, %VMIP%, %VMTEMP%, and %3 are just batch variables replaced at run time.

This same string backs up VMs on a second ESX host just fine. This host is has more load (around 80% RAM usage and between 60% - 80% CPU) than the other. But I would only expect something to slowdown under a high load and not crash.

0 Kudos