VMware Cloud Community
danam
Contributor
Contributor

VCB and large LUN

Hello all,

we want to deploy a VM with 1.5 T LUN attached. From what I have seen, VCB it copies the vmdks to it own disks before backing up to tape. With the planned 1.5 TB that will probably be tedious and space consuming. So I figure the option will be to back up over LAN with an Agent in the VM. Right or wrong ? Any other options I have ?

Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtech
Expert
Expert

You could just use VCB to backup the C: drive and then use a agent to backup the D:, E: etc.

That way you wouldn't need a 1.5 LUN assigned to your VCB server.

MATRIXMATE
Contributor
Contributor

How do you backup just the c:\ drive (1st disk), with VCB backup, when you are wanting to do a Image backup i.e -fullvm..., is it possible???

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

you could set the other disks attached to the VM to independant, that way they are not affected by snapshots.

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

As Mooihoek said, you either have to tell the VMDK files on the VM to be independent-persistent and those disks will not get backed up. Keep in mind this will prevent them from being part of any snapshots, so be careful. Alternatively to this there are 3rd party tools that can do this without having to worry about the independent-persistent flag.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos