VMware Cloud Community
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

VCB and RDM

Hi

I have a virtual machine that I want to backup with VCB which has an RDM attached to it. The disk file is a Dynamic disk currently.

When I present the RAW disk to the VCB server as I do with the normal VMFS luns the disk comes up as a Foreign Disk.

I presume that I need to import this disk "but" what will happen to this disk as it is still connected to the virtual machine as the drive letter R?

Thanks

P

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Is the disk in physical or virtual mode?

There are limitations with the physical mode and VCB.. I can dig them up if you need.. Be sure that the adapter is in virtual mode as I believe this is the only way snapshots are allowed.. As for presentation of the RDM to the VCB I am quite sure this method is not supported.

Help me help you by scoring points.

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

VM Backup Guide

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

So browsing the guide.. As stated above on page 31 the mode of the disk has everything to do with the VCB backup of RDM...

Thanks for the post NTurnbull.. Would be nice to write some snippets from the guide...

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

OK I've now got the RDM presented the the VCB server now and the RDM is set to Virtual Mode.

When I run the VCBmounter I get an error message,

"VCBMounter.exe error, cannot open disk file"

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

If you hadn't told me that the RDM is set to virtual then I would immediatly asked because of what it states..

How does the snapshot process for the VM when you are running mounter? Does it runa and complete for the VM? And both disks..? Also does a snapshot currently exist.. That would cause it to crap out too.

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

The backup fails without doing the system disk etc. So no backup actually happens.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

If you are using vcb a snapshot is generated prior to mounting the disks and deleted afterward or in case of error.

Does this happen?

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Ok narrowing down the issue, When i do a fullVM backup the RDM is backedup successfully. When I do a file level back up I get the problem.

This is the log.

• A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to

read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStor

e: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the

error

Error: Cannot open disk blklst

://snapshot-1428[san01-lun01] servername/servername.vmdk@vcname?xxxx

/xxxx. Cannot open disk file: Error : Failed to create temporary file "C:\WINDOW

S\TEMP\vmware-SYSTEM\vmware-temp\vmware-.TMPREDO_000018760": Access is denied.

Unable to check for the existence of an old redo log or failure to choose a file

name for a new redo log for disk 'blklst://snapshot-1428[san01-lun01] servername/servername.vmdk@vcname'.

Failed to configure disk scsi0:0.

An error occurred, cleaning up

Thanks

p

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor

I have now resolved it. The issue seemed to be file permissions on the c:\windows\temp folder.

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Awesome thanks for the update seems your log pointed you to the culprit.

0 Kudos