VMware Cloud Community
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB Snapshot kill's VM Network

Hey,

i have a problem with my 3.5 infrastructur! If the vcb backups snapshot starts and if the snapshot is deleting, the machines are loosing the network connection.

Does anybody got the same problem's or have some inforamtions, to fix this?

greeds stony007_de

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A couple things could be happening here. First a few questions.

What kind of storage is under the VM?

How large is the backup file?

My thought, if you have slower storage under the VM, and the backup is large, the snapshot could get quite large by the time the file copy portion of the backup finishes. This will result in a lengthy snapshot deletion process. Performance will be impacted during the snapshot deletion, especially if the storage is slow.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

i'm using an EVA6000 Storage with RDM's. The RDM Size is diffrend from VM to VM, From 50GB to 500GB!

Is there a possibility to tune up this snapshot process? it's very awfull, to lose some connections while the snapshot is merging!

0 Kudos
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCB snapshot is similar just like you do a normal snapshot throgh VirtualCenter. Check manually when you create a snapshot on any VM and then remove that snapshot, would you see any network disconnection?

I suspect that vcb won't create any problem with network disconnection.

Otherwise put the vcbmounter output with -L 6 switch here...

Anuj Modi,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
stony007_de
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if the backup is done and the snapshot is deleting, the status in the VC runs for 1% to complete, without errors.

But if the status is 90%, the vm timed-out for some seconds (5-30)!

My VCServer is an VM, could that be the reason for that mistake?

0 Kudos