VMware Cloud Community
james_08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB Server mapping LUNS

Hey guys,

I am the "all rounder" I.T. guy here at our School where I work at. I am employed as a tech but end up doing more than that usually. Basically I am trying to setup a Veeam 3 VCB box. I have automount disabled etc and followed the VCB guide including editing the .js config file.

When I try and do a FC backup using Veeam 3 it cannot see the ESX LUNS. The VCB box is running 1x Emulex card back to a Brocade 200e Silkworm, then to the MSA1500.

My problem is I don't know how to present the LUNS to the VCB server as I have never done this before. The Emulex card is reporting back as link UP and 4g/b.

Do I use the HBA Anywhere card software to present the ESX LUNS to the VCB Server? Or is it done via the FC Switch using the WWPN?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im sure once I have presented the LUNS it will work OK from there.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kesparlat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi James_08,

First of all you have to go to your FC-SW to create a SAN zonning that connects your VCB server with your MSA. Once you've done go to your MSA1500 and create a new presentation for the Vmware Datastores to your VCB server. The LUN number must be the same to all hosts (if your Datastores LUN are 10, 11 an 12, must have the same LUN number to all the servers).

Dont forget to set 'automount disable' and 'automount scrub' in VCB server using diskpart.

Once you've done this, you will have access to your datastores from VCB server.

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - It should be done at the FC switch and I would also confirm that the no masking is done at the storage preventing the HBA from seeing the LUN -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TheEsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi james_08

What SAN do you have ?

You'll need to create a host group on using your SAN management software , and add the VMware LUNs to that group.

Once you have done that , when you go back to your VCB proxy server you'll see the Vmware datastores , then you'll be able to do your backups.

David

kesparlat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi James_08,

First of all you have to go to your FC-SW to create a SAN zonning that connects your VCB server with your MSA. Once you've done go to your MSA1500 and create a new presentation for the Vmware Datastores to your VCB server. The LUN number must be the same to all hosts (if your Datastores LUN are 10, 11 an 12, must have the same LUN number to all the servers).

Dont forget to set 'automount disable' and 'automount scrub' in VCB server using diskpart.

Once you've done this, you will have access to your datastores from VCB server.

Regards.

0 Kudos
james_08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys,

I wanted to thank each of you especially kesparlat for steering me in the right direction. The VCB box actually runs 2 fibres back to 2x brocade 200e's then onto the MSA.

I created a new zone on each SAN switch and added the WWPN 's of the HBA's, then added the zone to the Fabric config. Then jumped on the MSA1500 using that funny rj45z connector and created a new connection from the msa back to the WWPN's of the HBA.

Then the MSA kept on showing offline/offline for connection status. Turned out I accidently had put the fibres back into the server the wrong way around after doing the msa connection and switch zoning, damn embarrasing lol. Lucky I wasn't under the pump and nobody else was around. Was sitting there for ages trying to figure out why the SAN switches could see the hosts HBA's but the MSA connection was down. (n00b alert)

Anyway thanks again fellas!

0 Kudos