VMware Cloud Community
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Error during backup

Hi everyone,

We have queued some VM's in a backupsession and from ten VM's three of them failed with this message:

Completing current object backup process

VCB error: Could not renew disk lease. Aborting operation. The managed object of type "vim.host.DiskManager.Lease" identified by the MoRef "session[9F988E44-262C-411A-BD02-DE332CF6AEE1]ECB38FFE-1374-4ECA-81EE-8DD0D3E807EF" could not be found. Error: Failed to export the disk: I/O Operation failed An error occurred, cleaning up...

Does anyone know what this exactly mean and even better; how i can avoid this error?

Regards,

Joris

0 Kudos
8 Replies
caciolli
Expert
Expert

I saw similar messages when a new LUN is exposed to esx but not to VCB proxy, or did not rescan on VCB proxy.

0 Kudos
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Caciolli,

Thanks for helping me out.

All the LUNs are presented to this server. When i start a vcbsandbg.exe i can see all the path's of my LUNs where my VM's are located.

0 Kudos
caciolli
Expert
Expert

Are all the three failed vm on the same LUN ?

What is your SAN environment ? Did you disabled inactive path to the LUNs in your VCB proxy ?

Try to change the loggin level to 6 ( -L 6) inside your script, and let see if it helps.

Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Caciolli,

We use a Blade460c with VEEAM to backup our VM's. On the Blade is VCB located aswell. On the FC network we have a HP EVA 4400 with three vdisks, which are presented to all ESX servers and the VEEAM server.

The VM's that failed to backup are all located on different vdisks.

I assume i cannot change the VCB script because we use VEEAM. I also have to note that i didn't configure anything about VCB, i just installed it and that's it.

0 Kudos
caciolli
Expert
Expert

Can you try to use vcbmounter by itself against one of the 3 failing vm and using logging level 6 ?

0 Kudos
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try that tonight. Note that other VM's that got backed up properly where on the same volume as the failed ones.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

I have seen this many times. You will need to set your driver signing policy to "prompt" and then re-install VCB. It will prompt you to allow the install of the virtual disk driver. see the attached screen shots.

Dave

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
Frans_P
Contributor
Contributor

Okay i got the answer:

Edit /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml and check for this section:

<blklistsvc>

<enabled>true</enabled>

</blklistsvc>

Make it look this way:

<blklistsvc>

<leaseTimeoutSecs>180</leaseTimeoutSecs>