VMware Cloud Community
CyberV
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Error : Could not renew disk lease. Aborting operation

Hi All!

I got 2 ESX 3.5 on HP DL360G5 and also a HP MSA1000 ( SAN ) ... I used VCB 1.1 the lastest version also.

I got intermittetly errors during VCB process ... some VMs works all the time and some other have the following error ..... Basically, the VMs who works all the time it's 2 small VMs around 3 Gig bigger. I never got problems to backup those VMs. My bigger VMs like 50gig big have problems.

Here is my VCB script :

vcbmounter -h 192.168.54.23 -u Administrator -p xxxxxx -a ipaddr:192.168.54.14 -r e:\VM-Backup\nw65sedna.log -t fullvm -m san -M 1 -F 0

Here is a log exemple :

Current working directory: E:\VM-SCR~1

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs 192.168.54.23

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

• The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

• A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA/NW65-SEDNA.vmx":

0%=====================50%=====================100%

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA/NW65-SEDNA.nvram":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-1.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-2.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-3.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-4.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-5.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware-6.log":

Copying "[VMSAN1] NW65-SEDNA//vmware.log":

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

• The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Converting "e:\VM-Backup\nw65sedna_20080114\scsi0-0-0-NW65-SEDNA.vmdk" (compact file):

************** Could not renew disk lease. Aborting operation.

The managed object of type "vim.host.DiskManager.Lease" identified by the MoRef "session[F6D68889-8618-46B8-B874-73FA960A281A]2D035854-F9A4-4C0E-B19A-2D383237E68E" could not be found.

Error: Failed to export the disk: I/O Operation failed

An error occurred, cleaning up...

Deleted directory e:\VM-Backup\nw65sedna_20080114

Any help will be appreciated.

PS : Sorry for my bad english.

Eric

0 Kudos
8 Replies
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check your user is well declared in at the host/ Cluster level with VCB right ?

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
EricChampagne
Contributor
Contributor

I have only the Administrators Group in the HOST/CLUSTER Level right now. I'm using the Administrator account to do all the job.

The administrator account by default under VC have all the rights.

0 Kudos
EricChampagne
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

This is how I fixed my problem

Open this files in the /etc/vmware/hosts/config.xml

Modify the BLKLISTSVC section like this

I got no more errors since i did that. Cross my fingers.

David_Howell
Contributor
Contributor

Modifying the config.xml worked for me too, you need to reboot the ESX host in my experience for the settings to be applied.

On ESX 3.5 the path to the file is: /etc/vmware/hostsd/config.xml

Many Thanks for the original post.

0 Kudos
NicholasKellam
Contributor
Contributor

Does modifying the config.xml stop VCB from trying to use SSL? I don't want the overhead of SSL as it is not required in my environment. Currently I get the following messages on the proxy when attempting a backup which causes about 2 minutes delay on starting. May not sound like much but with over 400 VMs this adds up quick.

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs atlprdvcs02.uss.net

0 Kudos
David_Howell
Contributor
Contributor

If you remove the following sections from the config.xml you can disable SSL (according to the comments in the file).

<!-- Remove the following node to disable SSL --> <ssl> <!-- The server private key file --> <privateKey>/etc/vmware/ssl/rui.key</privateKey> <!-- The server side certificate file --> <certificate>/etc/vmware/ssl/rui.crt</certificate> </ssl>

Alternatively if you wanted to use SSL but didn't want the delayed start or the error messages there are also a couple of things to try:

1. You could modify the certificate file on the VC server, see VM Guide:

2. Add a host entry on the VCB proxy with the IP address of VC. (I've done this personally - but you are limited to only one VC/ESX server per VCB proxy)

This method is a very simple workaround, when you call the hostname "vmware" from vcbmounter the IP address is resolved and the existing certificate is valid, alternatively you could add a dns record instead, if you have rights.

Open "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" on the VCB proxy server using notepad.

add the following line under the localhost entry:

x.x.x.x vmware (replace the x.x.x.x with the IP address of the VC server).

It should look something like:

localhost

vmware

When running the VCB command replace the usual hostname (atlprdvcs02.uss.net in your example) with vmware.

e.g. vcbmounter -h vmware -u vcb -p ***********

Hope this helps 🐵

Sergio__DP_
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm having the same issues, but I'm running this backup using HP Data Protector, I've called both vmware and HP, HP says is something with the vmware and from vmw hadnt had a response for 3 weeks. Check out the errors:

“2008-07-25 16:39:57.422 'BlockList' 5604 error] The managed object of type "vim.host.DiskManager.Lease" identified by the MoRef "session[E8488718-3A94-4161-8959-561E631FB262]7C2B1112-2E8B-4912-9E3F-3B57D0AE0E09" could not be found.

Error: Failed to export the disk: I/O Operation failed

An error occurred, cleaning up...

Deleted directory f:\Snapshot_Depot\SJCW2KPRINT

Error VM :'SJCW2KPRINT' snapshot failed

From: BSM@cell.manager.com "ESX - Prod Desktops" Time: 7/25/2008 4:40:01 PM

Session remote exec script vmwarepreexec.cmd

on host esx.server.com failed. Exit code = 1

From: BSM@cell-manager.com "ESX - Prod Desktops" Time: 7/25/2008 4:40:01 PM

None of the Disk Agents completed successfully.

Session has failed.

But I can't increase the lease timeout because that would make the vmw server unresponsive.

Does any one have any other suggestion?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

Upgrade to version 1.5 just released on Friday. Has some improvements on disk lease timeouts -->> http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vcb15_rel_notes.html

But you are having an issue with MOREF resolution. Set your config.js so that log level is "6". and the post the mount logs.

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos