VMware Cloud Community
Savo1
Contributor
Contributor

VCB Backup fails with exit code:1 right at very end

Hello,

We have been backing up 9 VM's using Vranger Pro for the last 3 years without a single failure.  However, following an upgrade to our Symantec Backup Exec software (v12.5 to v2012), one out of the nine VM's fails with the following note in the log:

Status: Converting "E:\VMwareLive\newgs2\scsi0-3-0-gs2.vmdk" (flat file):
Status:         0%=====================50%=====================100%
Error: VCB Exit Code: 1
Restoring Pre-Backup Disk Mode of Skipped Disks.
Cleaning Up After Backup.
Determining Backup Statistics.
Writing Backup Information.
Writing Backup Information to the Database.

Tyically, it is our largest VM and it takes approx 7.5 hours to backup and this error appears towards the very end.  The rest of our VM's backup fine to the same folder on the same partition via the same script.   There is plenty of disk space spare (1.5TB when only 490GB required) and it happens even in the dead of night when nothing else is running on the backup server.

The odd thing is that the failing VM backs up fine if I point it to another folder on a different partition but then fails when I point it back to the location I want to store it (faster disks). 

Everything appears to clean up following the failed backup and I've taken and deleted snapshots manually to clear out any gremlins which may have been lurking.

I can't see why an upgrade to Backup Exec would have such a strange impact on just one VM - we only use it to take the image level backups off to tape.

Any view/suggestions very welcome indeed.

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
0 Replies