VMware Cloud Community
ianashley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB 3672 Error: No Path to device

Hi All,

I'm getting a strange error after presenting a new LUN to my VCB server and attempting to run a full image backup on one of the hosts. The specific error is:

2007-10-17 18:15:17.808 'App' 3672 error-- No path to device NAA:600508b4001040510000a00002190000485356313130/4 found.

Searching the archives shows a few others' that have also seen this error -- however, no specific solutions are mentioned.

Thus far I have:

• Verified that I can run backups on other LUNs

• I don't have any multipathing software setup on the VCB.

• I can see the presented LUN on my VCB server w/o issue.

Anyone have any experience with this problem or similiar? Thanks in advance.

Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfunger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the LUN ID presented identically to both the VCB proxy and the host? I know it seems like a basic question, but when I was looking for an asnwer, I got pointed in that direction a LOT.

Matt

Don't Panic.

EDIT: Check out this thread as well:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/107282?tstart=45

Don't Panic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mfunger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ian,

I had this same problem a while back. My solution was to go into our SAN array management tool and make sure that the VCB proxy is allowed to see the LUN (virtual disk, in EMC terms).

Hope this helps,

Matt

Don't Panic.

Don't Panic.
0 Kudos
ianashley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,thanks for the reply. We're using an HP EVA SAN -- and sure enough I can see the LUN on the VCB Proxy server w/o issue. Also -- I have an existing LUN off the same SAN that I'm able to run backups from -- it's just this newly presented LUN that I can't. I'm a little baffled on this...

0 Kudos
mfunger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the LUN ID presented identically to both the VCB proxy and the host? I know it seems like a basic question, but when I was looking for an asnwer, I got pointed in that direction a LOT.

Matt

Don't Panic.

EDIT: Check out this thread as well:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/107282?tstart=45

Don't Panic.
0 Kudos
ianashley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Matt, you're exactly right -- the LUN IDs weren't identical on the VCB Proxy Server and the ESX Host. After re-presenting the LUNs in correct order the backup worked like a charm. Thanks for gently pointing me in the right direction!

0 Kudos
ianashley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another problem I'm having -- a couple of the newly presented LUNs appear to the VCB Proxy as "Healthy (Active)" within Windows Disk Management. This worries me as everything I've seen indicates that all the LUNs should be showing as "Healthy (Unknown Partition)". I'm not going to attempt doing any backups on these for fear that I may corrupt them. I've seen a couple others on here have the same issue but nobody mentions the solution -- do I need to re-run the Diskpart commands? Reboot?

0 Kudos
mfunger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've seen the same recommendations you have, but haven't been able to figure out why the disks look that way. My recommendation would be to just mount one of the vm's manually on your vcb proxy and see if it mounts properly. If so, you can probably back up without any problems. If not, post the results of the error and I'll try and trouble-shoot with you, but to be honest, I'm at the end of my knowledge.

Good luck!

Don't Panic.

Don't Panic.
0 Kudos