VMware Cloud Community
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB 1.1 and Netbackup 6.5.2a Restore Problems

I have my netbackup backups working nicely, using the FullVM and File For Incremental. Problem is when I attempt to restore an individual file through Netbackup Backup, Archive, and Restore the job just sits for hours and hours on "begin reading". I have completely removed all Netbackup and VCB application/framework and re-added. VCB first, then Netbackup. The service account is set as the domain admin as required in the docs. I've read Symantecs "How to configure and use Netbackup for VMware" a hundred times and followed it step by step. These are ESX 3.5 Update 1 hosts and Virtual Center 2.5 Update 1. Problem happens on all hosts i've tried. Anyone else have this issue? Not too many people seem to be using 6.5.2a. Oh, also I tried using the new 1.5 framework first, but same problem there. Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
kwajalein
Contributor
Contributor

We have been experiencing similar problems with VCB and Netbackup. The file level restores are simply not happening.

Has anyone been able to get this to work? Anyone?

IIRC, there were a couple of presentations at VMWorld which touched on VCB and NetBackup. Has anyone been able to learn anything from them?

If I find anything I will let you know.

0 Kudos
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a ticket open with Symantec, but as of 9/9/08 I have yet to get a solution, let alone a reply. The tech worked on it for about 30 minutes and then said he had to "consult with his peers". Haven't heard back since.

0 Kudos
kwajalein
Contributor
Contributor

Why am I not surprised? We've been working with Symantec too, but have not been able to find a solution. If you have a sales rep, you might consider working with him/her to escalate it. We've had good results doing that with some other vendors.

Interestingly, there was a presentation I think at VMworld 2008 which focused on NetBackup and VCB. I'm trying to get a copy, in the hope that it might shed some light on our current lamentable predicament.

0 Kudos
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finially worked this out with Veritas, problem is our master server is running HP-UX on IA64. Not supported in Netbackup 6.5.2. The next release will have support for it. The problem is only with the Flash Backup, if you do Windows-NT it actually works, though takes 5 times as long to do a backup.

0 Kudos