VMware Cloud Community
Quiggley
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2 VC

I built a new VC and I need to move my 3 ESX3 hosts from one VC to the other. I can't really afford for my machines to go offline. It says to remove the hosts they have to be in maintenance mode.

What if I just add them to the new VC and then turn off the old one. Will this screw anything up?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I built a new VC and I need to move my 3 ESX3 hosts

from one VC to the other. I can't really afford for

my machines to go offline. It says to remove the

hosts they have to be in maintenance mode.

What if I just add them to the new VC and then turn

off the old one. Will this screw anything up?

The correct method - is to do a maintenance mode, and remove from inventory. However, what your suggesting will work ok. When you add the ESX host into the new VC, the existing VC will mark as disconnected or not responding I can't remember which. You can then safely remove it - it isn't correct proceedure - but I see students do this every week when they don't RTFM the lab guide on courses - I've yet to see it cause a problem

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

I agree with Mike, I knew a guy who never read anything and just moved the hosts to a new VC, didn't seem to cause any issues.

Respectfully,

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
Quiggley
Contributor
Contributor

I did the first host and it went through no problem.

The second errored saying it couldn't install the VC agent. I am downing the servers on that one to put in MM.

I am not sure if I want to risk trying on the third. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Quiggley
Contributor
Contributor

Now, even with the server in maintenance mode it won't add. Same error about not being able to update the VC agent.

0 Kudos
Quiggley
Contributor
Contributor

I connected to the host directly and started the machines. I tried to readd it to the new VC a few minutes later and it went in without incident.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK, so where are we now?

All you esx hosts in the new VC...?

Unusually, to get the VC agent error message...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

This might be blatantly obvious, but when that happens the agent that communicates with the esx back to vc probably didn't install properly. I wrote some instructions for when this happens off of a post, time has changed but here is the old version, update where necessary, and I realize yours already went through. I believe the issue is unrelated to vc 2 vc since it didn't work in mm either:

When I add a host to Virtual Center it disconnects:

The agent that communicates with the ESX back to VC probably didn’t install properly; to correct this:

1. Copy the vpx-upgrade-esx-5-linux-27704 from the upgrade folder in the VC folder to /tmp on the ESX server

run the command sh vpx-upgrade-esx-5-linux-27704

(By default the script is located in C:\program files\vmware\vmware virtualcenter\upgrade )

2. If you look in bundleversion.xml you will be able to see which script it is that you need to run depending on what version your esx hosts are running.

Respectfully,

Kaizen!
0 Kudos