VMware Cloud Community
tlowe
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 and ESX 3.0.2

I was wondering if anyone knows of any problems with running VC 2.5 with my 3.0.2 servers. I have some servers I use for my backup and not sure if I am ready to upgrade those. I have my production working fine but don't know about doing my backup servers yet. The backup servers are connected to the VC at all times.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there, the release notes suggest being up to date on patches, but I've been running it in a lab with VC 2.5 and ESX 3.0.2 (no patches) without any issues. . There's a section at the proceeding link that covers issues with VC 2.5 you may want to browse through. Also make sure you look through the notes regarding the database upgrade. That's not so much an issue with ESX 3.0.2 but a common problem with the upgrade in general. And make sure the folder /tmp/vmware-root exists on your ESX hosts before upgrading otherwise the VC agent install will fail.

0 Kudos
Courtney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's a link to a compatibility matrix from on of the VMWare support guys as we were thinking of upgrading the VC first, run a week or so, then move to ESX 3.5.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf

Enjoy...

0 Kudos
AshleyB
Contributor
Contributor

I've just come across a couple of issues, but I suspect they are just cosmetic.

Rolling Failover NICs - Even though my 3.0.2 Hosts have a NIC Teaming policy of "Rolling" = NO. When I plug them in to VC2.5 they show a "Failback" setting of Yes. I suspect that the host settign will be correct as VC has no involvement in NIC Teaming (as far as I know :smileyblush: ).

NTP - Even though I set up two time servers through my kickstart file, and the ntpq -p command shows that both time servers are configured and working fine. VC 2.5 shows that NTP is enabled, but has no time servers listed.

I'm about to start investigating these (my hosts may just need patching), has anyone seen the problems before?

Hosts are now fully patched, but the inconsistencies remain in place

0 Kudos
mitchellm3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also run 3.0.2 update1 and VC 2.5. I get the same problem with the NTP servers not being listed. I installed a 3.5 u1 server for testing and the NTP servers from my install script showed up so it must be a ESX 3.5 thing.

Another one I noticed is that when a VM is shut down and you go to edit settings, there is a place to resize the VMs disks...rather than having to use vmkfstools. I have done this with VMs running on 3.0.2 with no luck. I didn't test it on 3.5 since my 3.5 test box is gone. Maybe this will work with 3.5?

Other than these few issues, it is rather solid.

0 Kudos