VMware Cloud Community
digitalex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using VUM to update ESX 3.5 to update 4.

I have a 2 part question.

1. I want to update our 3 esx servers from update 1 to update 4 via the Vmware update Manager. I have a baseline created with ESX 3.5 Update 4 assigned to each Esx server ready for remediation, but should I upgrade VCenter and VUM first before rolling out the remediation?

2. Would you upgradet to Esx 3.5 update 4 or go straight to vSphere4?

My current setup for info:

Virtual Center 2.1

ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb

EVA4100_1

20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's

My current setup for info: Virtual Center 2.1 ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb EVA4100_1 20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

First of all, If you decide to maintain your VI3, upgrade the VC Server BEFORE the ESX Servers. It's not a good thing to have ESXs newer than the VC Server - and your UM also will be more up to date.

If you have opportunity to upgrade to vSphere, go ahead - you have much more advantages using the new features and etc.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

First of all, If you decide to maintain your VI3, upgrade the VC Server BEFORE the ESX Servers. It's not a good thing to have ESXs newer than the VC Server - and your UM also will be more up to date.

If you have opportunity to upgrade to vSphere, go ahead - you have much more advantages using the new features and etc.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
digitalex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that is what I figured but just wanted some confirmation.

My current setup for info:

Virtual Center 2.1

ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb

EVA4100_1

20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's

My current setup for info: Virtual Center 2.1 ESX 3.5 up1 on 3x HP DL460c G1 16gb EVA4100_1 20 Windows 2003 Ent VM's
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The VM docs all say upgrade vCentre BEFORE the ESX hosts.

vSphere has great functionality and I am itching to upgrade myself . . but as with every product I am waiting for the first 'service pack' before I take the leap.

What I have done is remained on 2.5 u5 and build a standalone ESX4i box on 1 of my ESX servers. - I have given it its own vCentre, and have then built additional ESX 4i hosts on the 1 standaloine, so I can use 1 physical serevr to test / use as a lab. there is a great doc on the web somewhere that will show you how to virtualise ESX4

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos