VMware Cloud Community
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using ESX 3.5 with a NAS device (openfiler) is ssssslllllooooowwww...ideas?

Hi everyone, it is sooo sloooow that it fails out during HA and sometimes just booting the VM. What is the CHEAPEST SAN I could go with for esx3.5 ... or maybe I need to go to 3.0 if I have to.. I just want to start using the advanced features more and stuff and I was so close with my current set up..or maybe y'all might suggest a better NAS device than the set upI am using? Maybe its the storage enclosure? Could it be my switch settings? Should I be using both physical network adapters rather than just one?

I am using:

2 x G2 Compaq DL380's with 5i

cards AND 5300 controller cards attached to basic storage array

enclosure STORAGEWORKS ENCLOSURE 4354R RM DUAL U3 PORTS (not on

compatibility list).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have one vswitch --> nic handling everything (SC, VMs and NAS) this might be a problem.

If your ESX hosts have 2 or more NICs create a separate Vmkernel switch for NAS traffic, bound to one of the other NICs. It would be best if the NAS traffic ran on a separate GB capable switch.

Cheap SAN is kind of a relative thing. If it isn’t your money and is for a production system, I wouldn’t be inclined to go for a cheap solution.

If it is personal use than a pretty good solution can be cobbled together from EBay for less than a grand.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you have one vswitch --> nic handling everything (SC, VMs and NAS) this might be a problem.

If your ESX hosts have 2 or more NICs create a separate Vmkernel switch for NAS traffic, bound to one of the other NICs. It would be best if the NAS traffic ran on a separate GB capable switch.

Cheap SAN is kind of a relative thing. If it isn’t your money and is for a production system, I wouldn’t be inclined to go for a cheap solution.

If it is personal use than a pretty good solution can be cobbled together from EBay for less than a grand.

0 Kudos