VMware Cloud Community
CharlesWhite
Contributor
Contributor

Using ESX 3.0.2

Couple of questions:

Can I use ESX Server to provide virtual machines without setting up virtual center as well?

I have installed ESX Server 3.0.2 and am attempting to create a storage group on the vmfs partition that was created by the standard (non-advanced) ESX install software. I am receiving an error when it attempts to format the partition. "Error during configuration of the host: Failed to update disk partition information". The "wizard" appears to indicate you will be required to pick the partition if it is ambiguous. Do I need to first remove the vmfs partition using some other tool and allow the VIC to see an unpartitioned space instead? Is it trying to format my esx server partitions as well?

Also feel free to point me to the correct manual or checklist perhaps.

Thanks,!sshot-3.png!

Charles

0 Kudos
10 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Yes, you may use ESX server to provide virtual machines without using VirtualCenter.

To answer your second question, if I understand correctly, it appears that you are trying to create a storage group on a VMFS partition that already exists.

You should not have to do anything to use this VMFS partition; it should be ready-to-go. In fact, it should already exist as a datastore - specifically, by default it will be named "storage1".

So, if you want to create virtual machines on this VMFS, you do not have to do anything. You can simply create a new VM, and when you are prompted for the location of the VM, select "storage1".

If you want to rename storage1, connect to the ESX server via the VI client, right-click the "storage1", and select "Rename". Then, type in raid5local (or whatever you want to name it).

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
CharlesWhite
Contributor
Contributor

I guess that is the problem. The vmfs partition created by the ESX 3.0.2 graphical installer is NOT showing up as a storage group. so when I go to create a virtual machine I can't get very far with no storage groups. Also in reading the installation guide it sort of post recomends creating the vmfs partition with VI client to make sure it is "aligned".

Ideas?

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Ahhh...I misunderstood.

So, what happens when you try to rescan for VMFS partitions?

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
CharlesWhite
Contributor
Contributor

Using the VI Client? if so, there is a Refresh which completes under the Hardware / Storage area that won't show anything new. Thats where I've tried the add storage... option. Reformatting the vmfs partition using console type tools?

thanks!

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Try this:

Connect the VI client to your ESX server. Then, click on the "Configuration" tab, and then click on "Storage Adapters". In the upper-right, you should see a blue "Rescan...". Click on this, and leave the both "Scan for New Storage Devices" and "Scan for New VMFS Volumes" checked.

Post back the results...

###############

0 Kudos
CharlesWhite
Contributor
Contributor

I found the rescan shortly after I asked the questions. That doesn't make a storage group show up. There's nothing on the server yet, I might just punt, wipe the array and reinstall.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

I'll be happy to continue helping you, but at this point re-installing might be the best option.

I just thought of something - are you by any chance trying to install ESX and create the VMFS file system on SATA drives? You can install ESX on SATA drives, but you won't be able to format the SATA drives with VMFS (on ESX 3.0.2).

###############

CharlesWhite
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. 400 Gig SAS drives on a PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 5 configured as RAID 5 array.

0 Kudos
Goatie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got the same problem using the same RAID controller on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2x72GB SAS 15K drives.

Using either a scripted install or through the gui install I cannot access the vmfs partition.

I've just tried doing the install and not placing down any VMFS partitions. I then went into the VI client and attached a new VMFS partition.

It says I have 56GB available, so I select that device.

I then tick to use free space, name it, 1MB block size, maximum capacity ticked and click finish.

VI then says "Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to update disk partition information"

Any ideas? Should I log a call?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

It seems to be a common issue with 3.0.2. You can manually create the datastore with Fdisk and vmkfstools and the below procedure. You'll have to adjust some of the parameters to be correct for your system.

FDISK - creating a new disk with VMKFSTOOLS

Run fdisk -l to see devices -

Run fdisk /dev/sda (adjust this line to match your system)

If you have to add a VMFS - create the partition (n) then change the type (t) to fb. Then (w) save the changes.

Check fdisk /dev/sda again and list partitions (p) - it should list as fb.

If so , exit and run vmkfstools -C -S "<data_store_name>" /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba0:0:0:10 (adjust this line to match your system)

0 Kudos