VMware Cloud Community
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Urgent help please! Broadcom TG3 driver not loading on boot

For some reason the broadcom TG3 network driver is not loading during boot for one of our ESX hosts.

BUT if I load it manually using vmkmod_load tg3 it loads fine and I can use those network cards. Can you help me get this loading correctly on boot?

I get this error in /var/log/messages:

Jul 25 08:37:10 esx1 insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-47.0.1.ELvmnix/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.o: init_module: No such device

Jul 25 08:37:10 esx1 insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ param

eters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Jul 25 08:37:10 esx1 insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-47.0.1.ELvmnix/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.o: insmod eth0 failed

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it seems like there's an error in your esx.conf file check /etc/vmware/esx.conf

and look for the driver and optional parameters.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it seems like there's an error in your esx.conf file check /etc/vmware/esx.conf

and look for the driver and optional parameters.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Duncan, thanks alot for the reply. But I've decided to just rebuild the host, in the long run it's probably going to be quicker.

On a side note I really dig your blog, it's one of the highest quality VMware blogs on the net...keep it up Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To me it looks like the SC is trying to access NIC which already has been reclaimed by the vmkernel

But this shoouldn't stop it from working... What does esxcfg-module -l say after booting? Is the driver enabled at all?

/Rubeck

wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply mate, but i've now rebuilt the host and its up and running fine again.. Unfortunatley its often just faster to rebuild than actually solve the problem 😕

0 Kudos