VMware Cloud Community
STe1
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrate ESX 2.5.5 to ESX 3.5

Hello

I have a question

It is Necessary to upgrade ESX HA cluster with VMotion (two hosts DL580 G3 + storadge EMC CX300) from ESX version 2.5.5 to the version ESX 3.5 on which the workers of server. Downtime must be minimum.

As correct it to do?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Henry_Dorset_Ca
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm not totally sure if I understood your question, but if you asked for a minimum downtime solution when migrating from 2.5.5. to 3.5, then it's worth to have a look at the Upgrade Guide which you can find here: Upgrade Guide. If you have sufficient space on your storage, start with upgrading VC from 2.x to 2.5 (and have a look at the prerequisites, especially for SQL Server VC databases..), upgrade one of your hosts to ESX 3.5 (2.5.5 is upgradable), build a new LUN on your storage, format it with VC to VMFS-3 and use Dmotion on this Server to migrate your 2.5 VM's. After that use VC to upgrade your virtual HW and upgrade your VMware tools. There are other scenarios e.g. where you have to do an in-place migration of your VMFS-2 Datastores - all these cases are descripd in-depth in the Upgrade Guide.

HTH

HDC

0 Kudos
STe1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
Henry_Dorset_Ca
Contributor
Contributor

I think you will find all what you need in the guide. If you want to, please assign the points Smiley Wink)

HDC

0 Kudos