VMware Cloud Community
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Upgrading poll

So who's playing in DEV, upgraded like a new kid at christmas or waiting to see what bugs appear???????? Im at the first one with playing in DEV until i have spare time to plan the upgrade.

Dan

0 Kudos
15 Replies
lhedrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am waiting until January and then in a LAB - not even DEV...

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

I am waiting until the new year and watching the forums closely.. Unfortunately I dont have a dev environment here or I would be playing with it now. I need to make sure it is a smooth transition.

Help me help you by scoring points.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

I'm waiting until Janurary, don't want to ruin my holiday time off with any un-expected problems or bugs. I might upgrade a standalone DR server before then just to get familiar with it.

Eric Siebert

VMware Communities User Moderator

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

From the documentation, there are a couple of items to be resolved before we upgrade. Primary one is official support for our models of IBM blade servers.

Will have Engineering team test upgrade in lab once they complete their move to new office space and get the test lab rebuilt.

Mike

0 Kudos
BryanMcC
Expert
Expert

Mike:

Can you enlighten me on what IBM blades you are running?

0 Kudos
jfrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've had it running on a HP DL585 dev system for a few days. This system has only local storage but I've found storage performace in the VMs has increased 10%-20% over 3.0.2p1. So far, 3.5 has been solid.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Dev? huh? Rollout this week you mean!

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
ascheale
Contributor
Contributor

Today I made my first install at customer with 3.5 running on a DL380G5 8GB, 8x72GB SAS local storage.

Had this machine 3 days in lab to "burn in".

Customer runs only Navision on W2k3 X64. For now it runs quite stable and very fast. I´ll have an extra eye on it.

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos
PhilipArnason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I like installing things from scratch, so instaled VC 2.5 from scratch, then installed 3.5 at our DR site like a kid at xmas---waited a day and after no ill effects installed 3.5 at the 3 remaining esx boxes at our HQ. I decided to do it quicker first of all because VMWare patches have been good to us in the past, and also because our MD3000i array is on the support list for 3.5 but not 3.0.2.

Philip

0 Kudos
FERC_ESX1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed on my lab hosts. Lab VC was using MSDE which is no longer supported, so I had to re-create the farm etc using SQL Express. I already have the change request in to upgrade production.

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lot of mixed interest, out of interest what size ESX farms will upgraders be performing this on? And what methods will you use to upgrade.

0 Kudos
PhilipArnason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used the method that involves unzipping the file. Much easier than remembering all those TAR commands (tar -xvzf). The new way via the update manager I suppose will be even easier. Anyway the upgrade was a piece of cake. Runs quickly.

PHILIP

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

16 hosts for us.....and we never upgrade - we just PXE boot the new version with a bunch of scripting to get to back where it belongs in terms of config.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
ericdaly
Contributor
Contributor

Installed a fresh VC2.5 cluster and added in 3 x IBM x3650 SAN attched (FastT700) which were upgraded from ESX 3.0.2 to ESX 3.5. No major issues to report but HA gave error on one node. Had to remove all host entries on VC hosts file in order to resolve... odd !

VC Client seems a bit "chunky" and slow at times with some screens freezing and jerking? Anyone else notice this?

0 Kudos
donikatz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my dev boxes are in use staging a second site installation, so i'm waiting till i free those up. also waiting for more official hardware certifications. may wait until new year's.

0 Kudos