VMware Cloud Community
maguar99
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded from ESX 3.5 U1 to 3.5 U3, cant see "health status" in Virtual center

Sequence: I updated Virtual Center to the latest version (2.5.0 Build 119598) (The one that coincided with the 3.5 Update 3 release

I have a couple of hosts I have updated from 3.5 Update 1 to 3.5 Update 3.

-On these upgraded hosts, through virtual center I do not see the "Health Status" link under Configuration->Hardware

-If I connect directly to the Host's IP via the Infrastrucure Client, I DO see the "Health Status Tab"

Also, A host I had freshly installed 3.5 U3 on, shows that Tab.

Is there something I need to do to make Virtual center show that tab on the Upgraded hosts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
maguar99
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to clarify

"Also, A host I had freshly installed 3.5 U3 on, shows that Tab -

>>>>>> through Virtual Center"

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried restarting the vpx agent on the host in question?

from the service console type:

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
maguar99
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have tried that, and it does not help. Earlier I had even rebooted the hosts in question.

Is there a different wat to make virtual center rediscover it (they are part of a 2 member cluster)

0 Kudos
jbrown9999
Contributor
Contributor

Anytime i've had issues with a specific host on the VCC, i do two things, i log on directly to the host and restart the mangement service. Log in as root and submit these commands: "service mgmt-vmware stop" and then a ''service mgmt-vmware start''. If that hasn't addressed it, i then rebooted my VCC server. Hasn't missed yet.

0 Kudos
maguar99
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried all those steps and it is still not working.

All I am missing is "health status", which shows the hardware stats of me dell server..

Tomorrow, I am going to try and remove and add the host back to virtual center.

0 Kudos
maguar99
Contributor
Contributor

Found the solution. No amount of restarting either the host or virtual center solved it.

I actually found the solution was to select "Disconnect" and "Connect" on the hosts with issues via virtual center. That rediscovered the new features of 3.5 update 3.

0 Kudos
JP23
Contributor
Contributor

Disconnect / Reconnect or even removing and adding the host in vCenter didn't completely solve the problem for me. In my case only 3 of the hardware monitors were displayed afterwards. I found that removing and reinstalling the peagsus / cim rpms fixes the issue.

for U3 hosts rpm -e and then -i the follwing:

cim-smwg-1.0.0.1-119451

VMware-cim-esx-3.5.0-123630

pegasus-2.7.0-119451

edit: this fix also solved problems with connecting to WBEM from HP SIM.

0 Kudos
pointdexter
Contributor
Contributor

I just went from U3 to U4 and this works perfectly as well.

VMware-cim-esx-3.5.0-153875

cim-smwg-1.0.0.1-146229

pegasus-2.7.0-146229

FYI the RPMs are located in the ESX350-200903204-UG folder in the esx update directory on the management server.

0 Kudos