VMware Cloud Community
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade to 3.0.2 went really wrong

Hi guys,

We have some esx hosts still in version 3.0.1.

Yesterday we tried to upgrade one of this host to version 3.0.2 with the tar file update from 3 to 3.0.2 available on vmware website. After unpacking the tar file in /tmp we launched esx-update update command that went fine till the end but on reboot all configurations have disappeared, no more vswitch, no more console, no more IP settings, all gone...Nothing to do then reinstalling from scratch version 3.0.2, recreating everything from licensing to networking.

I was helped with an external consultant that had never seen this happening before and didn't know what to do. Sorry i don't have anymore logs to provide as we reinstalled the entire host. But i am wondering if this behavior rings a bell to one of you. We still have two esx hosts to upgrade and I'd like the upgrade to work this time.

The consultant told me it could have been because of not having enough space disk available, the two other hosts :

\[root@remcorpesx01 root]# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 4.9G 2.1G 2.5G 46% /

/dev/sda1 244M 32M 200M 14% /boot

none 131M 0 131M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda5 4.9G 631M 4.0G 14% /tmp

/dev/sda6 4.9G 97M 4.5G 3% /var/log

\[root@remcorpesx02 root]# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sda2 4.9G 2.8G 1.8G 62% /

/dev/sda1 244M 32M 200M 14% /boot

none 131M 0 131M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/sda5 4.9G 574M 4.0G 13% /tmp

/dev/sda6 4.9G 91M 4.5G 2% /var/log

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
enorthcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for your loss...

Nothing seems out of the ordinary as far as disk space goes. I can't imagine the update requiring more storage than you have available.

I recently upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 to solve a couple of issues I was having. The update actually caused more problems than it solved though. Nothing on your order however. I am anxiously awaiting 3.0.3.

I don't know that I would have rebuilt my system from scratch, but it's hard to tell without being there. As always best practice dictates a backup before patch application. It would definitely have been a boon to your rebuild effort.

I wish I had more advice. Good luck on your other upgrades.

Eric Northcraft enorthcraft at gmail.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
enorthcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for your loss...

Nothing seems out of the ordinary as far as disk space goes. I can't imagine the update requiring more storage than you have available.

I recently upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 to solve a couple of issues I was having. The update actually caused more problems than it solved though. Nothing on your order however. I am anxiously awaiting 3.0.3.

I don't know that I would have rebuilt my system from scratch, but it's hard to tell without being there. As always best practice dictates a backup before patch application. It would definitely have been a boon to your rebuild effort.

I wish I had more advice. Good luck on your other upgrades.

Eric Northcraft enorthcraft at gmail.com
0 Kudos