VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert

Update Signature on target Datacenters - Keeps saying "Queued"

Why does it keep saying in my recent tasks "Update Signature" is "Queued"?

It's been like that since last night.

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

we face the same issue. Did anyone found the root cause on this?

Regards,

daniel

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Did you try to restart the update manager service in the VC server yet? I have seen this issues a few times and restarting the service solves theis problem most of the times. If the error is persistent,. a reinstall of the update manager does the trick in most cases. I never looked into the root cause though...

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, restarting works but it's annoying 😕

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

True. Did you update to 3.5u3 / VC 2.5u3 yet? There is a new version of update manager included there (1.0u3)... I have not seen the problem since the upgrade (allthough the upgrade was very recent).

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

That's strange... I didn't start seeing the problem until I went to Update 3.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange, we are on ESX 3.5U2 / VC 2.5U3 and there is nothing in the release notes for ESX 3.5U3 regarding this problem.

Nevertheless VUM is not showing the latest updates which are available trough website download.

Latest shown updates are from 10/03/2008.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It turned out that on the VUM server there was an old instance (2.5u2) of Update Manager Client running/installed. Does this one has a related task on the failing issue?

I upgraded this and after that my VI client threw an error that the website for patch download could not be accessed. So I came across the configuration task for the proxy in my VI client. After I corrected that everything seems to work well now.

Current updates have been downloaded and remediation of one ESX was successful.

Maybe proxy setting got lost during upgrade of VUM from 2.5u2 to 2.5u3?!

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After a while the problems returned.

Does anybody know if there are dependencies between VMware Update Manager Service and VMware Virtual Center Server Service, e.g. if VC Service is being restarted VUM Service has to be restarted also?

We have seperated VC Server und VUM Server but they use the same DB on a third server.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I wanted to bring up the discussion again because also after re-installing VUM 1.0U3 nothing changes. We are not able to get the latest updates.

Message in the VI Client is: "signature update task queued"

From the logs I can find in

vum-web-server.log: "[2009-02-01 11:44:19.289 'ProxySvc-80 Req00237' 3256 error] Exception while processing request: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

vmware-vci-*.log: "

http://...

#2] SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

* The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

* A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Authenticating extension com.vmware.vcIntegrity

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Vmacore::Http::HttpSvcImpl::PendingRequest: HTTP Transaction failed, closing connection. Reason: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. , class type is: class Vmacore::SystemException

"

Proxy configuration seems to be ok, because it reports "success" after pressing the button inthe configuration tab of Update Manager.

Does anybody has an idea what might be wrong?

Maybe it is also important to know that we have separated VUM, VC and the database which means that we have the following VMs:

- VUM service

- VC service

- VUM & VC DB

VUM and VC are all Update 3

ESX are all Update 2

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions!!

Regards,

daniel

0 Kudos
macgreen
Contributor
Contributor

The following was tweeted recently but cannot get to document (doesnt exist) be interesting to see what the support kb says.

Scheduled Update Manager task gets stuck in a queued state (1016719)

A scheduled task to update patch definitions gets stuck in a queued state. Running the task manually is successful. recreate the scheduled

task and ensure that it does not contain....

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

• ESX Server 3.5 U5 • VirtualCenter 2.5 U5 (VM) / MS SQL 2005 (VCDB,VUMDB) • SAN Infrastructure (FC) • NetBackup for VMware 6.5.5 • VCB 1.5

My environment:- vSphere 4.1 : • ESX 4.1 Servers • vCenter Server 4.1 (VM) : - Windows Server 2008 64bit - MS SQL 2005 (VCDB/VUMDB) • NetBackup 6.5.5 - VCB 1.5 U1 • FC SAN
0 Kudos
kaka_humbe
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Has anybody found solution to this "Queued" issue. It is really frustrating. I am using vc2.5u5 and VUM is running on the same server as VC. The database too is common for both VC and VUM.

This DB was previusly used by VC2.0 which was uninstalled and re-installed VC2.5u5. The download worked only once but whatever I do I get the same message "Update Signature Queued" Checked proxy settings etc but all looks good.

Realy appreciate if someone could give some clue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kaka_humbe
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Has anybody found solution to this "Queued" issue. It is really frustrating. I am using vc2.5u5 and VUM is running on the same server as VC. The database too is common for both VC and VUM.

This DB was previusly used by VC2.0 which was uninstalled and re-installed VC2.5u5. The download worked only once but whatever I do I get the same message "Update Signature Queued" Checked proxy settings etc but all looks good.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kaka_humbe
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kaka_humbe
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
kaka_humbe
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for the multiple postings...

0 Kudos