VMware Cloud Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update Manager

We are having a problem with the update manager. Here is the problem. It’s installed but not available when I go to the plug-in manager.

I have updated to SQL 2005 as I thought that might be the problem. Then I also read about the password problem with things like the password contains things like "!" etc. so I changed the local password on the VC computer so it does not contain a "!" however the DC admin password still has "!" in it.

I have uninstalled the update manager and reinstalled it with no go.

Any idea?

Stephen</span>

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried installing the plugin directly by running the plugin install file VMware-UMClient.exe which is located in the vci folder in the install files.

After its installed, can you enable it and does it function?

Are there any errors in the Update Manager logs? They are usually stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware Update Manager\Logs

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i installed the VMware-UMClient.exe and now i see it in the plug-in manager, however i now get this error "there was an error connecting to VMware Update Manager Server."

Stephen

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

I think the problem is with the SQL Server. You have to make sure that the SQL and ODBC test successfully. I have wiped out and rebuilt my SQL server with correct security permissions and got it to work.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is the VMware Update Manager service running?

Do you have multiple network interfaces on the VC/UM server?

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok i think i have found the problem and fixed it.

i had installed the VMware-UMDS.exe from UMDS folder. thus i was unable to run VMware-UpdateMananager.exe from the vci folder, as it said it was already installed.

so then i uninstalled the VMware-umds.exe from the UMDS and reinstalled the Vmware-updatemanager.exe from the VCI folder and it the installed correctly and it all works now.

now i get to check it out Smiley Happy

0 Kudos