VMware Cloud Community
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager

Are there any known issues that update manager has caused by automatically installing updates? Has running update manager caused VI or any VM's to fail?

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would advise against any automatic update procedures where servers are concerned. for workstations and the like, auto patching is a godsend, but for systems that a depended on by multiple clients manual patching (At least in so much as the patching process being started and observed by a person) is the way to go.

Just a thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
leeroyrichardso
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes we had an update last week which was installed without being authorised. This caused our esx servers to lose connection with the license server and the network was offline for approx 20 minutes.

This obviously caused a great deal of grief while the services where resumed

Lee Richardson

Lee Richardson
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would advise against any automatic update procedures where servers are concerned. for workstations and the like, auto patching is a godsend, but for systems that a depended on by multiple clients manual patching (At least in so much as the patching process being started and observed by a person) is the way to go.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help.

Just to clarify. Are you suggesting that it may be better to avoid update manager and go about the updates manually instead?

SB

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is what we do in my environment, but then we have special considerations as we are a hosting provider i.e. Change managements, Client approval and significantly differing builds.

I have never liked having something applying updates to server systems without it being me that tells it when to do it. I know this can be configured but manual patching on an occasional basis as needed after proper testing is not that hard.

If you have the time you can get a good process in place that incorporates Updater, just don't set it and forget it. Smiley Happy