VMware Cloud Community
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update Manager for 3.5 Infrastructure

I am trying to figure out how to use this. I recently added another ESX host to my cluster and have found that the expansion NIC is not being reconized. Woith out this NIC being reconized i do not have a dedicated port for HA. WHen i spoke to support (Dell) they stated that the current version i am running is at update 2 and that i need to be at update 3 for this NIC to be reconized. My problem is that i was handed three books and told to build a VM environment; whiuch indicated that that my understanding of this software is very minimal. I have been able to scan the host and see what patches are misssing however how do i deploy these missing patches to the esx host? Do all host have to be on the currnet update? Does any one have a link or can refer me to any documentation that explains Update manager? Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try this link: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf

This is the administrators guide to UM.

Can you perform a scan for updates on the host? If so you just need to perform a Remediate on the host to install the updates. Of course make sure there is a baseline attached to the host which will bring the host upto the patch level required.

Hope this helps

Mike.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try this link: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf

This is the administrators guide to UM.

Can you perform a scan for updates on the host? If so you just need to perform a Remediate on the host to install the updates. Of course make sure there is a baseline attached to the host which will bring the host upto the patch level required.

Hope this helps

Mike.

0 Kudos
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info! My ignorance is overshadowed by my incompatence, lol. I finally read the help section and it described exactly what you stated. Thanks for the info again it was spot on!

0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No problem.

Please add points if this helped.....

0 Kudos
BAR68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will the ESX host reboot after each patch is applied or wait until all are applied?

0 Kudos
cabraun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I realize that this has been answered but just about an hour ago and new video KB was added detailing how to update ESX hosts with Update Manager:

http://blogs.vmware.com/kbtv/2010/03/how-to-install-patches-or-updates-for-your-vmware-esx-host-usin...

Charles

0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some patches do require reboots and some don't. If update manager is installing a lot of updates at the same time it will wait until all updates are installed and then reboot.

I always manually put the host into maintenance mode before running any updates. This way the VM's are protected.

BAR68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I created my own baseline in update manager and updated my host. Everything appears to be ok. However I do not know what build this. When I look at the KB articles attached to the patches the two numbers are not the same as to what I have listed on my host summary page. I even called Dell support and the support person I talked to couldn't find it. I am trying to make sure that I am on the correct update before I install the NIC drivers I need. I need to be on at least update 3. I can not find any info on update 3 = build etc. The build number I see is esx 3.5.0, 226117, does this = update 5?

0 Kudos
MikeS1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah it's the very latest version that you're on.

The build numbers are:

VMware ESX: Update: Build Number:

ESX 3.5.0 Update 1 64607

ESX 3.5.0 Update 2 110268

ESX 3.5.0 Update 3 123630

ESX 3.5.0 Update 4 153875

ESX 3.5.0 Update 5 213532

You will have the latest patches installed to bring it upto 226117. You need to create a new baseline with FIXED updates and not dynamic. And if you sort the updates in date order you will see that U3 was released on 6 Nov 2008. Add the updates released on that date and all previous patches to the baseline and apply that to the host.

This should bring your host to the same version as the other hosts.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

BAR68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the info. It is greatly appreciated! Now i can move forward with the driver set for the INtel NIC. Thanks again!

0 Kudos