VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager Database

Without sounding too silly (I Hope). . . I am just starting to use Update Manager. In the admin guide it states a database is required. I do not ever remember being prompted about a database in the installer. . .and I cannot find an MSDE or SQL Express installation. How do I determine where the UM database actually is?

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK what database server are you using for VC? A Database server can have MANY tables (databases) on them. So you can easily create a NEW table to host UM. So if you look at ODBC, you should see 1 System DSN. It should be the one VC uses, edit the settings for that connection, and see where it's pointing.

Then you can create a NEW table on that database server where VC is pointing to (but don't change the existing table, otherwise you can mess up your VC). Then point the setup for UM to that new table.

I think it uses Virtual Update Manager, just create a new ODBC connection for System DSN, point the Virtual Update Manager to that new table on the database server, and you are good. You may need to get some help from a Database Admin, do you have someone you can get help from?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey,

Have you had a read of the manual?

www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10u2_admin_guide.pdf

Where did you install VUM? on the same box as VC? Does your VC have sql express already installed?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VUM is on the same server as VC. . .VC uses a separate database server, though. SQL Express is not on the VC server

I did read through the manual as well. . .though I certainly could have missed things

Jeff

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK what database server are you using for VC? A Database server can have MANY tables (databases) on them. So you can easily create a NEW table to host UM. So if you look at ODBC, you should see 1 System DSN. It should be the one VC uses, edit the settings for that connection, and see where it's pointing.

Then you can create a NEW table on that database server where VC is pointing to (but don't change the existing table, otherwise you can mess up your VC). Then point the setup for UM to that new table.

I think it uses Virtual Update Manager, just create a new ODBC connection for System DSN, point the Virtual Update Manager to that new table on the database server, and you are good. You may need to get some help from a Database Admin, do you have someone you can get help from?

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am familiar with SQL Server and can get that done. . .it's odd because Update Manager seems to work fine. I just have no idea where the database is Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that Update Manager just created tables in the VC database. . .there are VCI_* tables that I am pretty sure are for Update Manager

0 Kudos