VMware Cloud Community
GSanthosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unpresent Storage from ESXi

What is the best LUN identification information that i could share with the Storage team to get the right LUN unpresneted from the ESX farm. I have ESX 3.5 running in my Farm.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can determine this by the different target values.  The vmhba2:2:48  translates to hba2, target 2, lun 48.  The other one is target 3.  Since the other luns are different sizes at each target,  that should help the storage admin determine which one to remove.

If you are running 3.5  there is little risk in unpresenting a lun.  Make sure there are no VM configs, (CD's with ISO's)  or backup application or other 3rd party apps accessing or causing a host to access that lun.  3.5 handles that ok, but the PSA architecture with 4.x and above can result in an APD down condition.  Check the knowledge base for more details or just google unpresenting a lun in ESX 4.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wecome to the Community - Using the VI Client you can identify the LUN number which will correlate to the LUN on the SAN -

I have also moved this to a more approriate forum

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
GSanthosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks David,

In my case i have two LUNS with the same LUN id, how do i deal with that case ? as see that both LUNS are of same sizes too. Please find an example screen shot attached. 

0 Kudos
tbraechter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ich bin zurzeit nicht im Hause. Ich kehre am 17.10.12 zurück. Bitte wenden Sie sich in dringenden Fällen an Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) oder Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

I'm currently out of office. I will be back on 17.10.12. In urgent cases please contact Thomas Dierkes (Thomas.Dierkes@havilog.com) or Daniel Lübbe (Daniel.Luebbe@havilog.com).

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can determine this by the different target values.  The vmhba2:2:48  translates to hba2, target 2, lun 48.  The other one is target 3.  Since the other luns are different sizes at each target,  that should help the storage admin determine which one to remove.

If you are running 3.5  there is little risk in unpresenting a lun.  Make sure there are no VM configs, (CD's with ISO's)  or backup application or other 3rd party apps accessing or causing a host to access that lun.  3.5 handles that ok, but the PSA architecture with 4.x and above can result in an APD down condition.  Check the knowledge base for more details or just google unpresenting a lun in ESX 4.

0 Kudos
GSanthosh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very Much!!!

0 Kudos