VMware Cloud Community
apsmod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unble to boot from ISO datastore (std iso that come with ESX server 3.0.1)

I am trying to use the standard iso images that come with esx server (in /vmimages/tools-isoimages)

I created a windows based VM and pointed it to use the iso-image. I also made sure the CD-ROM was set to connect at power on. I made sure my boot order had CD-Rom on top. When I power on the VM it simply starts to do a network boot. I tried some things like copying the iso to my local machine and try the 'ctrl-alt-insert' + 'esc' trick to make it connect to my local machine but still no luck.

Can someone please help me out?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ISO images that you're trying to use contain the software install for VMware tools only. For an OS install you'll need to copy an ISO image to your ESX host (either to local or shared VMFS) and then edit the VM to use the ISO image.

If you haven't done so you'll want to create a login to use for the file transfer (enable the shell access option when you create the login). Then you can use a tool like FastSCP (http://www.veeam.com/) to transfer the ISO image to the host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ISO images that you're trying to use contain the software install for VMware tools only. For an OS install you'll need to copy an ISO image to your ESX host (either to local or shared VMFS) and then edit the VM to use the ISO image.

If you haven't done so you'll want to create a login to use for the file transfer (enable the shell access option when you create the login). Then you can use a tool like FastSCP (http://www.veeam.com/) to transfer the ISO image to the host.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you have to modify the bios in each VM to boot from CD, or you have to press 'esc' when the boot screen starts, then choose CD rom.

I have to also reset the VM immediately upon connection, because it won't respond to the keyboard right away.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah the fun BIOS dance where you have 1.8 seconds to press the ESC key to get the boot menu. Supposedly they made this customizable in Workstation 6 so you can specify how long the BIOS screen displays, hopefully it finds it's way into ESX soon.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos