VMware Cloud Community
Rogg23
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to send ctrl+alt+del to guests in ESX 3.5

I have a problem where I am unable to send ctrlaltdel to guests in my ESX 3.5 virtual infrastructure when opening the console session.

Pressing ctrlaltins has no effect.

Selecting send ctrlaltdel from the menu has no effect.

This isn't all machines, some machines work fine.

I haven't been able to attribute this behaviour to a single host either. Some machines work and others do not on each host.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, or know of a workaround?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

I have not seen this before. More info may help determine the cause and confirm if its a guest not responding or host issue.

Whats is the guest OS(s)?

Approximately how many guest do you have on each esx host?

Is VMware tools installed on the ones you are having an issue with?

Do you see the windows logon/locked screen or just a blank screen?

Do you have RDP enabled and can you RDP to the guest?

Are all the guest with this problem in production? Is it possible to restart one of them?

----

Robert

BSIT, MCP, A+, VCP (VI3)

Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Rogg23
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thanks for the replies.

I've found the problem.

Someone in our organisation has applied scancode map settings to selected machines, supposedly to prevent windows being pressed, instead, they have blocked ctrl and alt instead! This was the confusing part because the affected machines were completely at random now I know why!

As scancode settings do not apply to RDP sessions, these were working fine and causing the confusion. With it being an entirely virtual infrastructure I couldn't do any comparisions with physical devices.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

0 Kudos