VMware Cloud Community
RHarreveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to rename storage identification

Here is the problem.

I added luns with the vmfs2 filesystem to my esx3 server with a rescan.

To create datastores with the vmfs3 FS i removed the datastores under VC2.

Then i added the datastores again with a vmfs3 filesystem.

A (1) appeared after the datastore name. when i try to rename these the message appears that the datastore names already exist.

The datastores are on a msa1000 and two esx3 servers are using these datastores.

I already tried shutting down one esx3 server to rename but this wasnt successfull.

Also renaming with the vmkfstools -E did not work.

Does anyone know this problem...

Robin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dblake15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How are you trying to rename the datastore?? Through the Configuration Tab, Storage Selection?? If this is the case instead of going through VC use VI client to go to the host to see if you can rename on the host itself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dblake15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So do you have a VMFS datastore that has the same name as the one that you are trying to rename?? What happens if you rename it a different name does that work??

Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the VI Client switch to the inventory view of the datastores. You can remove any old stores from there

RHarreveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Renaming to another name does work. When renaming back to the original name this fails again. When you look in the /vmfs/volumes folder the original name does not appear. So where does esx finds this duplicate name ??

0 Kudos
Ub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you check that no VM's are using the datastore ?

Is the old name listed under the datastores view ?

0 Kudos
dblake15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How are you trying to rename the datastore?? Through the Configuration Tab, Storage Selection?? If this is the case instead of going through VC use VI client to go to the host to see if you can rename on the host itself.

0 Kudos