VMware Cloud Community
Mr__SB
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to "hot" migrate any VM.

Configuration: VIM 2.5, ESX 3.0.2, VMotion, IBM BladeCenter HS, NetApp F3020

Please forgive me if I post this in the wrong area...not sure where it should go.

I am unable to migrate VMs from one IBM blade to another while it is powered on, however I can migrate them while powered off. The error is: "The input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter". This is confusing because I only have one VIM hosted on a HP DL380. I have volumes created for each ESX servers, and each ESX servers mount all the other ESX server volumes. Each ESX servers hosted on IBM blades has it's own iSCSI toe card with a 10 Gb connection to the NetApp Filer. VMotion is configured on it's own 10 Gb private network between all the ESX server.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Steve

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do the HP DL380 and IBM blades belong to the same Datacenter in VC? - you can not VMotion ("hot" migrate) between datacenters

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Mr__SB
Contributor
Contributor

weinstein5,

Thanks for your reply.

The HP DL380 host the VIM and SQL server only. Each IBM blade is running ESX which is part of the HP DL380 VIM. Hopefully I am clear...still learning the ropes of VMWare.

Thank you,

Steve

0 Kudos
squire07
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Steve,

Have you found the fix for this prob? I'm experiencing the same issue when "hot" migrating a VM from a v3.0.1 host to a v3.5.0 host. The hosts are identical HP Proliant ML370's G5....this isn't a problem when migrating the VM's in a powered-down state.

thanks,

erich

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using virtual center? This is required. In virtual center, how many "datacenters" do you have listed? As stated, VMotion requires vm's to be in the same datacenter to be VMotion'd. Also, are you using shared storage?

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Mr__SB
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry that I did not respond in a timely manner.

Both kjb007, and weinstein5 provided me the answers. Being a VM rookie, I created a datacenter for each blade in the same IBM chassis, thus causing my own problem. I have since changed the parameters to were I have multiple blades under a single datacenter. Hot migration of VMs works like a charm.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
squire07
Contributor
Contributor

yes - v2.5. 1 DC and both hosts reside in the same clusterd. All storage is on the same shared SAN. I have noticed something with the way the virtual disk path is read in v3.5.0 versus v3.0.1. Example - v3.0.1 reads the VD path as "[LUNVolumeName]VmName.vmdk", where as v3.5.1 reads the path (after cold migration) as "[LUNVolumeName]VmName/VmName.vmdk".

thanks,

0 Kudos