VMware Cloud Community
pkarhadkar
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to power on VM

hi,

I have vms on ESX3.5 and NAS is used as storage. My NAS server OS got chrased so I reinstalled the OS and remapped the storge to the ESX. When I power on the VM on the ESX it is not coming up, showing "could not power on vm no swap file failed to power on vm" error.

Can anybody know the reason for it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Read this page: http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/resmgmt/vc_advanced_mgmt.11.27.html

How is your swapping configured?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
pkarhadkar
Contributor
Contributor

It is created in the same location as the virtual machine's configuration file, i.e its default location

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Try to change it to a local datastore, if possible, as a test. and check if you can power on the guest, then.

Can you create a new guest on that datastore (no need to install a OS inside) and turn it on?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
pkarhadkar
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am able to create new guest on that datastore.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check the file contents on your NAS, and see if a .vswp file exists? If it does, delete it, and retry your poweron. The error is sometimes misleading, it can also mean that the current vswp file is locked, and so can't be written to. There may be a stale lock on your NAS which wasn't cleared out before power on attempt. You can either find the .lck file, or remove the vswp file, or simply rename it, and retry the power on.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As KjB says, the file could be locked. Log onto the SC of each host, do ps -auxwww | grep

0 Kudos