VMware Cloud Community
cheeang
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to ping to VMKERNEL IP address

Hi

All my guests OS are unable to connect to the network But my service console is working and vmhost is reaching the network as well. And also I am not able to ping to the Vmkernel ip address, please advice

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Deeshey
Contributor
Contributor

use the vmkping command to ping the Vmkernel IP

0 Kudos
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your VMKernel network is on a different network than your service console port then you have to make sure the virtual switch has the right gateway. Check the properties of the virtual switch to see if the VMKernel default gateway is correct. As for your VM Guest network, you have to make sure the VLANID matched with the switchport VLANID unless the switchport is set to trunk. Hope that helps

0 Kudos
cheeang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

ON the console of the EsX server, I can use the Vmkping to ping the vmkernel address, vmkernel vlanID is 254, and service console is none but all my server is on vlan 254. If you change the service console vlan to 254, then I lost all the connectitivity to the service console. please advice here.

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

Are you using 802.1q trunking on the pswitch ports,

How many vswitchs and pnics are you using.

You can type esxcfg-info -n | grep -E -i "_name|Hint" to see a list of all of the network hints for each adapter.

This will display on the console what vlans and subnets that your esx server belives it sees on a per port basis.

What vlans are available on the ports from your pswitch.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hehe, vmkping will ping \_from_ the VMkernel IP stack and interfaces. If you ask the VMkernel to ping its own IP address, that should definitely work Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

cheeang, if you want all VMs AND the service console AND the VMkernel to communicate, why do you use VLANs ?

0 Kudos