VMware Cloud Community
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to locate License file on Local License server.

Hi,

I have installed the Virtual Center server and the License server on one machine with connection to MSSQLserver 2000 SP4 (local). While installing, I also specified the license file that I downloaded from my account. But for some reason, the virtual center server is not seeing the file and I am unable to create any VMs.

Please help!

Thank you

Naresh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That looks good for

One VC Management Server

4 CPU ESX Host

4 CPU VC Management Agents

4 CP VMotion

So under the Virtual Center client Admin, Licenses tab you don't show any remaining licenses nor do you show any total licenses?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you stopped and restarted the Virtual Center Service and License Service?

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you run VMware License Server tools located uner Start, programs, vmware, vmware license server and look under the Config Services tag. There is a place to specify the location of the license file there. i would verify that my license file is placed in that path and then restart the services.

pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I restarted, I checked the path of the license file too. But cannot get it to work. the VC client says you dont have enough licenses to perform this operation.

0 Kudos
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Does your license file contain a Virtual Center License?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does the VC Admin, License tab show any licenses at all?

Message was edited by:

mittim12

Message was edited by:

mittim12

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes I do have the license for the VC in my file

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No in the Licenses Tab, I do not see anything

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI,

The license source says 27000@localhost.

0 Kudos
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would copy the license file back to the VC server, Stop the license service, point it at the file you just copied over, restart the license service and VC service.

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did that..still no luck

0 Kudos
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are your ESX licenses host or server based licenses?

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host based..

0 Kudos
waynegrow
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That might be your problem. They should be server based if you are going to use VC with ESX.

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my license model says Centralized License Server

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My license file has the following content at the top. Does your contain something similar?

The following content represents a License Server Based file header. It contains

\# configuration information used to establish communication to a license server. If

\# multiple license server based files have been combined into a single file, this header

\# only needs to appear once at the top of the file.

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

YES. That is exactly what I have. I have the license for the standard ESX server.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the ESX host that is trying to power on the VM's set to server based licensing and if so is it pointed to the correct license server?

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not have any VMs on the host right now. But How I point the ESX host to the License server? I thought the VC server will do that.

Message was edited by:

pwcnash

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Login to your Virtual Client, hightlight the ESX host in question and go to the configuration tab. There should be a licensed features option under the configuration tab. Click on this and look for the license source tab. Edit that tab and use the "Use license Server" option and place the fqdn of your license server in this tab.

0 Kudos