VMware Cloud Community
wmrios
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create a Datastore

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to create a Datastore for a ESX Server 3 in the testing environment. I have a shared folder in a Windows host with several Virtual Machines. I point to the server IP and Share name but I keep recieving "Error During the Configuration of the Host: NFS Error. Unable to Mount Filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS Server".

Is it possible to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

is this a an NFS share formated as VMFS file system?

Don't understand very well what you are trying to do...

More details please Smiley Happy

Is this ESX 3 vmfs datastore?

Regards

Jon

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll need to setup Windows as an NFS server using Windows Services for Unix. Have you done that yet? There's some instructions for that here:

wmrios
Contributor
Contributor

No, the folder is not partition as VMFS. I'm not sure how to do that.

I am trying create a Datastore from the ESX3 to a Windows Server Shared Folder . When I attempt to connect I get the error listed before. You asked if the NFS share was formated as a VMFS file system. The answer is no but I am also not sure how that can be accomplished or if that is absolutly required.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

0 Kudos
dwight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this a standard windows share or is it a NFS share??

The reason I ask is because windows shares which use the SMB/CIFS protocol are not supported for use as datastores. NFS on Windows requires additional software such as services for Unix and additional configuration.

-

RHCE, VCP

RHCE, VCP Blog: http://computing.dwighthubbard.info
wmrios
Contributor
Contributor

It was a standard Shared Folder in Windows. I start downloading the Windows Services for Unix to install it on the server and create a NFS share.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
troberts
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See page 132 - Network Attached Storage

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_server_config.pdf

0 Kudos
wmrios
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everybody for your help.

I was able to create and connect the DataStore to the ESX server. Now the problem is, I'm not able to browse the folders inside the Share from the ESX VI Client.

At the same time of this post, I'm doing a research about this issue.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
wmrios
Contributor
Contributor

I got it.

Some changes in the Services for Unix console allowed me to browse the folders (VM's) in the Windows Server.

When I browse through the New Virtual Machine Wizard, the *.vmdk file is not listed (visible); but through the Browse Datastore the files are there. I right click them and select Add to Inventory.

Now... the virtual Machines are listed as (invalid) in the Resource Pool.

Thanks again for your time and cooperation.

0 Kudos