VMware Cloud Community
NPN-ARSC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to connect from remote N/W

Greetings All:

I recently installed the VMWare ESX 3.0.1 on the IBM server machine. The problem I am facing is that I can only connect to the server through Virtual Infrastructure Client from the same network! If I change my network (I have configured my laptop as a client), I am unable to access the server. I checked port number 22 in the firewall settings of the server and confirm that it is open for 2-way communication. Port number 80 and 443 are also public here! Could anyone think of any other possible point that may be causing this issue!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Manish.

http://knowmylifebetter.blogspot.com/

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you've been told to access the host at a different IP than the host actually has, then NAT is in use.

Your PC ..................................... LAN ..................Firewall ..................REMOTE LAN ............... ESX

192.168.1.2 ..........................................192.168.1.1 | 172.16.1.1 ............................................ 172.168.1.2

If you are told to access the ESX host at 192.168.1.1 (or something other IP in the 192.168.1.0 subnet) then NAT is in use. Otherwise, if you just access it at 172.168.1.2 from your PC, then you just need to make sure that the firewall is not blocking port 902 to the ESX server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Manish, for the VI client you'll need to open port 902 (and 903 if you plan to use the remote console). Other ports involved with ESX and VC are listed in this thread - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/90174.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to what Dave says, if you are using a NAT firewall, check out this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=749640

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
NPN-ARSC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings Dave & Wila:

Thank you for your quick responses. I have made the necessary change in /etc/vmware/config file. However, as far as opening of port 902 is concerned, I wanted to know where should that be opened? My ESX server has this port open! Do I also need to open this port for particular IPs in the gateway?

Kindly help

Sincere regards,

Manish.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The port will be open already on the ESX host and you would need to open it on the gateway for your ESX server and each subsequent ESX host that you may deploy. Are you using NAT between the 2 networks?

NPN-ARSC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am sorry for this dumb question, but how do I get from the system whether I am using NAT or not?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you've been told to access the host at a different IP than the host actually has, then NAT is in use.

Your PC ..................................... LAN ..................Firewall ..................REMOTE LAN ............... ESX

192.168.1.2 ..........................................192.168.1.1 | 172.16.1.1 ............................................ 172.168.1.2

If you are told to access the ESX host at 192.168.1.1 (or something other IP in the 192.168.1.0 subnet) then NAT is in use. Otherwise, if you just access it at 172.168.1.2 from your PC, then you just need to make sure that the firewall is not blocking port 902 to the ESX server.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This may sound silly but are your two networks routed together? Can you access anything on the second network from the first and back again?

0 Kudos
NPN-ARSC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmmm...Then I am not using the NAT... Smiley Happy

Thank you for this informative reply Dave....I will focus on ports 902 and SSH which both apparently seem to be blocked for remote machines.

Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
gkern
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar problem:

My HOST is an ESX 3.0.1 machine, and I normally use the VI Client to connect and do my normal routines...

But I recently downloaded a Trial version of Virtual Center 1.4.1 ( couldn't find a Trial of 2.x), and tho it loads just fine,

when I try to use the "Add Host" wizard, I get an error saying something like, "connection failed... Server Agent not responding"...

And I cannot TELNET to the Host on port 902...

I tried fiddling with the settings on the Host's Firewall page, but "Options" is grey'd out and I cannot add port 902...

The VC machine is one of the VMs on the Host, so there isn't any firewall between them... It MUST be some setting

on the Host itself, then, that is blocking VC...

Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos