VMware Cloud Community
seereddy
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect a ESXi3.5 host to vcentet 2.5

Dear All,

There is an error "A general system error occurred: inter error"  is getting when I tried to connect a ESXi 3.5 host to Virtual Center 2.5.  But the host is power on status.  If i connect the specific host through viclient  the following services have been stoped.

1. VMware virtualcenter agent

2. NTP Daemon

If I try to start these services, it is giving this error " A general system error occurred:command /bin/ash failed.

Please help me on this.

Thanks in Advance,,,

Regards

S.Srinuvasu

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which licenses of vCenter Serve and ESXi do you have in place?

e.g. vCenter Server Foundation allows only up the 3 managed hosts and ESXi (free edition) cannot be added to vCenter Server!

André

0 Kudos
seereddy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I have connected 33 ESXi host to Virtual Center server.  Only one ESXi host is giving this problem.

Regards

Seereddy

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

have you try restart the management agent? if it still not working and there is nothing on the host the easiest way is to rebuild it.

0 Kudos
seereddy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I restarted the management agent but the problem is still same.  I have 7 VMs are working on the same ESXi host which are in production.

ESXi Host & VMs are working fine but i am unable to add the ESXi host to vcenter server.

Regards

Seereddy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which license do you see in the hosts "Configuration" - "Licensing" section? Does it have a valid license assigned which includes the "vCenter Server Agent"?

Was the host connected to vCenter before? In this case look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003714. Maybe manually removing any installed vpx/aam agents will help.

André

PS: You may also want to double check all network settings on the host. IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS (even for typos).

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Possibly a bad agent installation on the host - try following the instructions at :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100371...

to remove the agent and re-attempt adding it.

this should resolve your issue (provided all your networking / DNS etc is sound)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
seereddy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre / bulletprooffo

The ESXi host license is "Standalone". & Host IP address, subnet, & gateway are properly
configured.

I am unable use unsupported mode in ESXi to uninstall the vpxa components because the
console screen is showing blank after restarted Host Manangement Agent services two days
back.  It is not coming back to normal screen.

Please tell me is there any chance to remove vpxa component from power CLI / vMA?

Thanks & Regards
Seereddy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The issue is the "Standalone" license. This license does not contain the Virtual Center Agent which is necessary to add a host to vCenter! If you have CPU licenses for this host on your license server, configure the host for server based licensing and point it to the license server.

André

0 Kudos