VMware Cloud Community
sreboulet
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to boot or edit VM's Virtual Disk "Invalid configuration for device"

We recently migrated our VM's to a new datastore and removed the old. We have one production VM that apparently still has a virtual disk pointed to old (non-existant) datastore. It was rebooted and now will not boot and gives the error "Invalid configuration for device 0". I've tried going into the settings to remove the non-existant virtual drive, but it won't let me. I've removed and re-added the VM from inventory and still no luck.

The two other drives are a virtual disk (OS), and a mapped lun. I'd create a new (smaller) virtual disk and point disk 2 to that location, but it doesn't give me any option to repath.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sreboulet
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, this has become a lot less critical. I created a new VM, and added the raw lun that the other VM was using and booted. I then deleted the missing server from Active Directory and renamed this VM to have the same name. Rebooted and we're back up and running. I'll go through the backups to find out if any info was on the old C Drive, but since this was a file server, all files should be stored on the raw lun.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could fix the original issue on the old VM, I'd still like to hear them as I'm sure this will come up again at some point.

0 Kudos