VMware Cloud Community
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unable to add virtual CPUs

My infrastructure is ESX 3.0.2 server. I have upgraded the CPU count from one to four on a VM. The VM is reconfigured successfully and all is well in the summary sheet in virtual center. I have checked the .vmx file and an entry "numvcpus = "4" was made.

When I boot the VM, I only see ONE cpu in task manager. The device manager, under Computer lists 'ACPI Uniprocessor PC'

What can I do to have the four CPUs installed on the VM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Right-click that existing entry in Device Manager, select "Update Driver" and follow the wizard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to change the HAL in the guest to use the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. How do I change the HAL ?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Right-click that existing entry in Device Manager, select "Update Driver" and follow the wizard.

0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Be carreful during the process. You should stop and configure application services as "disabled", and create a snapshot of the vm before.

I suppose that you would like to upgrade a Windows 2000. When you update the HAL, you may replace a newer kernel by a very old one. Before the upgrade, check the version of the following files :

ntoskrnl.exe

ntkrnlpa.exe

kernel32.dll

ntdll.dll

win32k.sys

winsrv.dll

Then, identify, download and copy the patches which have installed these versions on the server.

Right-click that existing entry in Device Manager, select "Update Driver" and follow the wizard. In some cases, upgrading 'ACPI Uniprocessor PC' to 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'result in BSOD. In this case, revert to snapshot and try 'MPS multiprocessor PC'.

Use at least a source with the same service pack as the OS of the VM or integrate the installed patches in the source.

If you have used a source without the patches, install the patches downloaded previously after the first reboot. Then, restart the server and check event logs. Reconfigure your application services and restart again.

A debug procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556