VMware Cloud Community
cmoshier911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to add local storage to 2 of 3 VM hosts

I added 9 300 gig drives to 9 different hosts. These do have SAN connections shared between them all, and now i wanted to add 300 locally to each. I got the drives in the servers, rebooted the first and F8 to go into the drive config and it saw the drive, i added it and saved the configuration.

Rebooted, and went into VI. brought the host back up, as well as the virtuals..... went to the Config tab on the host, Storage adapters, and verfiied i could see the new drive. Went to the Storage and clicked Add storage. Chose disk/lun and the next screen showed me my local drive. Added it, and all was fine.

Then, on an identical server i went through all the steps above, up to verifying it was showing on the storage adapter property page, and there it was...... But when i go to the Storage page and add storage, it's not showing up there. Only my existing SAN device drives are showing. i have rescanned the HBA and again the drives are all showing under the Smart Array P400i vmhba0. but only the first one showed when i went to add it in VI.

I have gone back on the 2nd one, deleted the drive, readded it, and still no luck..... anyone seen this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah seen this before, presume you are connecting to your Virtual Centre to add the local storage? Connect your VI client direct to the host and then add the local storage, it will show up then Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have errors in your vmkernel log? Does it mention anything about resignature or snapshot?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
cmoshier911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where is that file, i am using Veeam SEP to browse the files on the host but not finding that file.

0 Kudos
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah seen this before, presume you are connecting to your Virtual Centre to add the local storage? Connect your VI client direct to the host and then add the local storage, it will show up then Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cmoshier911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much TB Rich, that worked!

0 Kudos
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No probs, had me stumped a few months back! I would like to test if VC 2.5 U4 has this resolved but probably wont get chance for a while now.

Thanks, my first points also :smileycool:

0 Kudos
cmoshier911
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you again!

0 Kudos