VMware Cloud Community
matthew_burch
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to add hosts to Virtual Center

We're running a ESX 3.02/VC 2.01 environment, and experienced what will be politely termed as an 'event' with our storage that resulted in 3 of the ESX servers being hard shut down. We have since repaired the storage, and cleanly booted the ESX servers.

However, since the crash that we experienced, we have not been able to manage the ESX servers via VC. You can telnet to port 902 on the ESX servers from the VC by DNS name, and the ESX servers appear to be resolving the VC properly. I have cleanly rebooted one of the ESX servers, and have restarted vmware-vpxa and vmware-mgmt, but it hasn't improved matters. You can manage the ESX server directly using the Infrastructure Client.

When we try to add the host into VC either by name or by IP, the Add Host wizard comes up, but returns the error "Request Timed Out" when we enter in the address of the ESX server and our credentials.

Here is a snippet from the logs on the VC:

Authd error: 510 Could not create lock for vmware-vpxa

Failed to connect to host 10.10.19.50:902. Check that authd is running correctly (lib/connect error 11)

-- FINISH task-internal-1035 -- datacenter-2 -- vim.Datacenter.queryConnectionInfo

Here is telnetting to port 902 on that same server:

220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-matt

0 Kudos
25 Replies
matthew_burch
Contributor
Contributor

Under /var/log can I just delete the vmkwarning or vmkernel1.2 files? They are 830MBish each, and the total partition is only 2GB.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can delete any of the .x log files.

0 Kudos
matthew_burch
Contributor
Contributor

I cleared out space on the /var/log partition, and now everything appears to be working better. I can add to Vcenter, console in, etc.

Thanks much for all the assistance,

-matt

0 Kudos
matthew_burch
Contributor
Contributor

/var/log partition had filled up due to a storage failure creating 1.6GB of log files. Inability to write logs prevented VMs from being accessed via console, or hosts from being added into VC

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

Matt, drop me a line next time you are in the neighbourhood and we'll be able to do the tour.

0 Kudos
sreboulet
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. This same event just happened to me last night, and this thread saved me many more hours of hair pulling!

-stephen-

0 Kudos