VMware Cloud Community
rf1908
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Add Extent a volume

I tried to add space to the VMFS volume on my SAN and was able to do that without issue. When I went into Virtual Center and went through the Add Extent process, I received an error when I hit finish. The error is "Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to update disk partition information". Has anyone else seen this error? The add extent sees the additional space on the volume, but will not expand the volume.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Did you add space at the SAN level? If you did this is not the way ot do it - what you need to do is create a brand new LUN - rescan the SAN and then you can add the new LUN as an Extent to your VMFS datastore -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hogbreeder
Contributor
Contributor

We got this to work OK but we had to shut down the guest VM's

What we did was...

Grew the SAN disk on the array as a Clariion Meta Volume

rescanned to pick up the extra space.

Added the extra space as an extent... we got the error but after we shut down the VMs we tried it again and it worked .

Then went inot the command line and got ESX to recognise the additional space.

For VMFS3 you are supposed to be able to just add this extent without shutting down the running VM's.

I was advised to open a supprt call but haven't gotten around to doing this yet.

0 Kudos