VMware Cloud Community
robemann
Contributor
Contributor

Unable To Remove Datastore-The Resource Is In Use

I am unable to remove a datastore from VMWare Server. Whenever I try to remove either from the web ui or VI Client i get the following error:

The Resource Is In Use

I tried removing the datastore.xml but it replaces it with the same data after restarting the server.

Is there a way to manually remove the datastore? I am unable to access it to remove any items in the inventory that may be causing the issue. I'm still new to VMWare Server and I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank You,

Rob

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DLeid
Expert
Expert

Confirm that there are no running vm(s) on the datastore your trying to delete or a virtual disk that might reside on the datastore that is being used by a vm from another datastore.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
Paul_Thomas
Commander
Commander

Have you sucessfully removed al l VMs which use that datastore?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you are using ESX or ESXi and thus moved the thread to a more appropriate sub forum.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
emcclend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure that no VM's are on the datastore you are trying to remove . Also make sure that if you have been using ISO's on that datastore, that no VM's are still pointing to an ISO on the datastore.

0 Kudos
robemann
Contributor
Contributor

Depping,

Could you please move me back to VMWare Server 2. I am not using ESXI. I tried using the WebUI and VI Client to edit VMWare Server 2.

I attached a datastore using CIFS and am uanble to remove it after having to reboot my PC. It is now stuck. Refreshing it doesn't work nor restarting the vmware services. I cannot view the datastore it comes up with an error. Every time I try to remove the datastore it gives me the above error. "Resource is in use"

I want to know if I can manually remove it. Is there a file containing these configurations. The datastores.xml file rewrites itself with the same data.

Thank You,

Rob

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

Please refer to the following link, it may help.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos