VMware Cloud Community
PhilAngus
Contributor
Contributor

Unable To Access Via Infrastructure Client

Hi Guys,

I can't access the ESX datacenter via the virtual center server or directly to the ESX server. All the virtual machines are on line and the network in general appears fine. I can ping the ESX server but if I try and access it via the vitual center client, it times out. When I access it via the virtual center, it shows everything off line, although all VMs are up and running. The only way I can fix this is remote console in to each machine, down it and then reboot the ESX server. I can then access it via virtual center and power on all machines again one by one. A day later, I am back to square one again.

If I go in via virtual center IP with windows credentials, the client opens, but shows the datacenter off line. If I go directly to the ESX server via it's IP it just times out.

One other thing I've noticed is after a complete re-boot and a power on of a VM, I get a "Virtual Machine Memory Useage" error status, with a red indicator, which does eventually turn green.

Server is a Intel 8 bay with hot swap SAS backplane.

12 gig of RAM, with dual xeon 3.2GHz CPUs (not dual core)

VMs are configured to use 512Mb, 512Mb, 1024Mb, 1024Mb and 2048Mb respectively.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Definitely sounding like a network issue - I assume this does not happen to any other ESX host? What sort of networking do you have configured? How many NICs do you have in your ESX host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
PhilAngus
Contributor
Contributor

I've not changed anything though, that's the problem. It seemed to stem from the update 2 release (not the bad one, the re-released one). I never installed the bad one, fortunately, and only installed after all the uproar.

0 Kudos
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is a putty (ssh) connection to the esx possible ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Matbe try taking it to the u3 release - I have heard it has fixed many of the issues with the u2 release -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

you should try to disconnect and remove the unrespond host from the virtual center

and follow with service mgmt-vmware restart

then you can try to readd to the virtual center, should work

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
PhilAngus
Contributor
Contributor

I have now upgraded it to VC 2.5 release 3 and no difference.

I have also noticed every time I try and add a host to the datacenter (after deleting it because it's all off line) it times back with a "Request Timed Out" error and the Windows event log curiously shows an event ID 8 (crypt32) error with:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

With respect, I can't see how it can be a network error as nothing has changed on that side and essentially everything works except I can't manage the ESX server either directly or via Virtual Center.

0 Kudos