VMware Cloud Community
LeopoldGiterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ubuntu cd does not boot in vmware

Hi,

I have created a virtual machine for ubuntu linux 32 bit.

I have inserted the cd rom, when powering the vm, It tries to boot from the nic ??!!

Leopold

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Make sure the CD is bootable!

Set the CD to "connect at power on" in the VM's settings.

If it runs into the network boot, check the VM's settings to make sure the CD is "Connected", then do a CTRL-ALT-INS (warm boot) and hit ESC to get the boot menu. From there select the CD to bot from.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Make sure the CD is bootable!

Set the CD to "connect at power on" in the VM's settings.

If it runs into the network boot, check the VM's settings to make sure the CD is "Connected", then do a CTRL-ALT-INS (warm boot) and hit ESC to get the boot menu. From there select the CD to bot from.

André

0 Kudos
LeopoldGiterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make sure the CD is bootable! check

Set the CD to "connect at power on" in the VM's settings. check

If it runs into the network boot, check the VM's settings to make sure the CD is "Connected", check

then do a CTRL-ALT-INS (warm boot) and hit ESC to get the boot menu. From there select the CD to bot from.;

keyboard does not seem to work in this system ( all server are connected via a ip based kvm unit, do not know if it has soemthing to do with it)

there is a entry to force the system to go into the bios.

I am currently at that screen right now.

Note: They are scsi devices !! does that makes a difference ??

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can force the VM to enter the BIOS on the next reboot in the VM's settings (tab "Options", "Force BIOS setup"), however that may not help at all, since in the default boot sequence the CD-ROM comes before the network boot.

Just to make sure, did you click into the console screen before trying to use the keyboard?

Do you have an ISO file which you could try to connect instead of the physical CDROM?

André

0 Kudos
LeopoldGiterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked with the w2k3 cd and it's doing the same thing.

I started a download of the iso file, it's going to take a while.

it's a bit inconvinient for w2k3 to convert the cd to iso first in order to install the system.

also I have a lot of smaller program's /utilities on cd, and if the system is not reading them ...

any idea what's the cause ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Two things I could think of:

Is your CD/DVD drive an IDE or SATA drive?

Maybe you need to set it to IDE/ATA mode in the BIOS (see http://blog.vmpros.nl/2009/04/04/vmware-sata-controller-support-in-esx-35-1008673/)

When you created the VM, did you configure "Easy Install" or die you select "Install the OS later"? If you selected to use "Easy Install", the VM will have a floppy (autoinst.flp) connected. Please remove this and/or disable the floppy disk drive.

André

0 Kudos
LeopoldGiterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

it's a scsi cd-rom. server :ProLiant DL380 G3

I think I did not have the host cdrom to boot upon starting vmware. I was messing with all the options and when I was playing with it suddenly something started to work.

now here's the interesting part (till yesterday)

the burned cd of ubuntu is bootable, as well as an original w2k3 cd.

after playing with the cd settings on the host, I got the w2k3 cd starting it's installation procedure.

the ubuntu cd is or not starting (it tries to boot via the nic) or somethings I get a black screen with a cursor top left. (still figuring this out)

re: When you created the VM, did you configure "Easy Install" or die you select "Install the OS later"?

I have vi client 2.5 , I do not have these option (or I do not know where they are)

regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Forget about the "Easy Install". I was thinking of the wrong product (VMware Workstation), don't know why Smiley Wink

Do you have the CD-ROM drive mapped to multiple VMs?

André

0 Kudos
LeopoldGiterson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

at the black screen , I did a warm reboot again, pressed esc, and select to boot from cd, and presto.

I am in the final phase of the installation. Smiley Happy

Leopold

0 Kudos