VMware Cloud Community
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

USB over IP

In this thread: http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=545754 I see reference to the products from Digi and Keyspan to attach USB dongles to VMs. I've looked at some of the documentation for both products and I like the enhanced security features available on Keyspan's USB server.

Has anyone tried both of these?

Does Keyspan's product work with ESX VMs?

Are there any surprises?

Thanks,

Bill S.

0 Kudos
82 Replies
evansg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another feature that would be useful on the AnywhereUSB devices is a guard to protect the USB dongles from being bumped. 

0 Kudos
jmcbane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm with Digi International and here to help with inquiries about our AnywhereUSB USB-over-IP hubs.

First, some updates on the newer AnywhereUSB firmare, related to security concerns that wilson94t had:

The beta firmware that I previously mentioned has been part of the official firmware for some time now, so any new AnywhereUSBs will have these changes, as well as any firmware on our support site.  With this newer firmware, you can now 1) only reboot the AnywhereUSB through the (optionally password-protected) Web UI of the AnywhereUSB and you can now 2) only make AnywhereUSB IP configuration changes through the (optionally password-protected) Web UI of the AnywhereUSB.

Unfortunately, we do not have Active Directory integration, however we do have an open feature request for this, for our product manager to consider.  I strongly suggest for you all to reach out to your local Digi sales reps to push for this, if it's important for your project.

FibreChanMan, thank you for the suggestion about on-the-fly USB port reconfiguration.  I understand that you mean changing the USB Group Number assignments without rebooting the AnywhereUSB, is this correct?  If so, this is something that is currently under consideration.

evansg, thank you for the suggestion about the guard to protect the USB dongles from being bumped.  I understand you mean some physical guard (or perhaps even better - a locking system so the dongles can't be maliciously removed?), is that correct?

If anyone else has any questions, feature suggestions, etc. please let me know and I'll be glad to help!

0 Kudos
evansg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I was thinking of a physical guard to keep the dongles from getting bumped. A lock would not be necessary for us since our hubs are all housed in our data center.

0 Kudos