VMware Cloud Community
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

USB over IP

In this thread: http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=545754 I see reference to the products from Digi and Keyspan to attach USB dongles to VMs. I've looked at some of the documentation for both products and I like the enhanced security features available on Keyspan's USB server.

Has anyone tried both of these?

Does Keyspan's product work with ESX VMs?

Are there any surprises?

Thanks,

Bill S.

0 Kudos
82 Replies
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are looking at buying the Digi AnywhereUSB/14 which appears to be the only Digi model to support multi-host connections: http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp#specs. It also has dual ethernet and dual power supplies and is rack mountable (1U).

0 Kudos
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Chouse & Community,

The AnywhereUSB/14 seems like a great product, I bought two to test them out.

The Good:

• Dual power supplies, and they work.
  • Dual network ports, which failover, that works too.
  • Rack mountable. 
  • 14 ports,
  • Good spacing between the ports.
  • Web interface to setup the unit
  • exportable configuration.
  • Connectivity uses the same client as previous USB offerings, and multiple VM's can connect to a single AnywhereUSB/14.

The Bad, and it is potentially pretty bad if you want to connect more than one VM to the AnywhereUSB/14.

• Any client connected can reboot the entire AnywhereUSB/14. 
  • Any client connected can change the IP address of the AnywhereUSB/14
  • The security context defined at the web interface is not releavant for a connected client.

I need everyone's help!

• To get this corrected, I contacted Digi.  They're mostly driven by number of units sold, and i won't buy 100, but if we band together, that may send a stronger message.
  • Contact this person at Digi to express your interest in AnywhereUSB/14.
    • Stillman, Roxanne <roxanne.stillman-at-digi-dot-com>

I've suggested this set of requirements to Digi, let me know your thoughts:

Short Term/Must have:

1.   Username/password challenge for any administrative login.

2.    It must be possible to prevent a connected client computer from rebooting AnywhereUSB/14.

3.    It must be possible to prevent the connected client from changing the configuration on the AnywhereUSB/14

4.    Connecting from a client to the AnywhereUSB/14 involves an authentication challenge (user/password).

5.    If the client is rebooted, it should allow for automatic reconnection to the AnywhereUSB/14 (cached/saved  credential).

6.    It must be possible to lock down individual USB ports to  a specific client and prevent other clients from accessing these ports.

7.    Each port should have a free form text field for administrative notes (what system or application uses this USB port, etc).

Long Term/Should have:

8.   This username/challenge should allow authentication to an LDAP directory such as Active Directory, and should not be a local only design.

9.   Client connection authentication challenges should use a directory as the authentication source (LDAP/Active Directory)

10. The AnywhereUSB/14 should not require an AD object or schema extension to perform authentication to Active Directory

11. The AnywhereUSB/14 administrator should be able to group one or more USB ports such that they are associated to one node or UserID from a permissions perspective.

12. Each group should support a free form text field  for administrative  notes (what system or application uses this USB port, etc).  Once implemented this feature may replace #7 above.

Please think about contacting Digi with your thoughts.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fantastic wilson94t, we did buy one unit and noticed the same issues you have presented. We are moving forward with it anyway but will definitely contact Digi with those requirements for future driver/firmware.

One additional thing that we found frustrating is that when changing the group association for a particular USB port, the entire Digi unit must be rebooted in order for the change to take effect. This is obviously disruptive to any other server accessing a device on the remote hub. So we configured several pairs of USB ports to be in their own groups and then left the remaining ports in their own groups, so we have groups of 1 and 2 ports and this should serve us well in the future if we have applications/servers that require 1-2 USB ports, without having to change the group configuration.

0 Kudos
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chouse,

That reboot will really cause problems for us as well.  Good catch.

I've told Digi that these will never make it out of my lab with the current configuration.   Thanks for adding to the list of demands.

When building a server class device, they did a reasonable job on the hardware, but we need the firmware/software to catch up.    Reboots like that will break the success of the unit here.

0 Kudos
chouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have a pressing need so we are moving it in to production usage but have removed the shortcuts in the start menu that point to the utilities to configure the unit/ports. Hopefully security-through-obscurity will protect us until Digi can release new versions of the software that take security a little more seriously.

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey all,

Been a while since I've had to look at these type of devices, but once again the issue has come up. Was good to find this thread again, kinda hoped there would be a newer solution to the problem by now Smiley Sad Digi do seem to be making progress with their unit, and I spoke to them the other day and they have said they are making a 5 port version of the current 14 port multi-host device they have but it won't be out till later in the year.

One of the Keyspan devices we use seems to be regularly requiring a reboot as it seems to lose its network connectivity and unfortunetly can't buy new ones since they were bought by Tripplite.

Has anyone got experience with the Silex devices? The Digi AnywhereUSB would be a perfect solution for us, but we only use 5 licence dongles so the 14 ports is a bit excessive and I've been told they don't want to be £1500 for it.

Thanks,

Liam

0 Kudos
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried it, but you may want to look at the 4 port version of the Anywhere USB TS for a smaller solution. It may work more like the AnywhereUSB/14. http://www.digi.com/products/model.jsp?mid=3291.

0 Kudos
wilson94t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update from Digi:

They've sent me a  beta version of the firmware for tha AnywhereUSB/14, and we've given it a try.  The issues we ran into earlier in the thread were reasonably addressed from a security perspective.   We've given Digi some feedback about the firmware and expect a GA version to be available soon.

This is good news for many of us.

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi all,

it looks that there is one vendor completely missing in this thread: SEH:

http://www.seh-technology.com/products/usb-device-servers.html

We have used their myUTN device servers for quite a while now. They run very stable and allow for connecting a four-port-USB-hub to the device. You can have multiple servers connect to different ports of the same device. And they support Citrix/Windows Terminal servers.

Andreas

- Check out my VMware Front Experience Blog

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunetly, as with all of Digi's models, except the 14 port version, is that you can only connect one host to the device at any one time. This makes it an expensive solution as you need to buy a device per host, in our case we have 5 licence server VM's and 5 dongles, meaning we would need to buy 5 Digi devices!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have used the Silex device for a few years and it works quite well. One feature I liked was that it worked across our WAN.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow, I just about fell off my seat when I saw this..

Check out their myUTN-80 Dongle Server - designed and built for exactly what we're looking for!! I fear the cost is going to be high for this, but aside from that it would be perfect for our needs!

If it does prove expensive, then the smaller model I guess you have peetz would probably work fine too.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Which model of Silex? Did it allow multiple hosts to connect at the same time. Obv not to the same device though...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have never tried to connect more than one device at a time that I recall. I believe the model was SX-1000 or SX-1100. I'll see if I can find it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jmcbane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm with Digi tech support and was made aware of this thread.

Regarding the AnywhereUSB/14 beta firmware that we provided to wilson94t, which patches some of the mentioned "security holes", we'll be happy to share that firmware with anyone who's interested.  Just e-mail support.wizards ( at ) digi.com about this.

0 Kudos
FibreChanMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad to see Digi actively working on this device and communicating with us in the community!

My only question, and it may be a physical limitation on the device, is will there be a change in the future for on the fly USB port reconfiguration? For now I have pre-configured all of my ports for future servers (some single ports, some dual), but in the future I would like to be able to change ports on the fly if needed.

So far, my experiences with these AnywhereUSB (14 and the 2/5 port devices) have been great. Would definitely recommend these to anyone.

0 Kudos
BrandonJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply but we ended up going away from the Keyspan hubs due to reliability issues and now use a re-purposed server as a "USB server" thanks to a product from from FabulaTech (http://www.fabulatech.com/usb-over-network.html).  This has also given us the added benifit of redundant network and power which couldn't be had in the network USB hub offerings.

Digi also now has a more enterprise class AnywhereUSB product which actually supports more than than 1 VM access the hub at a time but we've not tried this one.

0 Kudos
laderio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wilson94t,

is the stable release already there?

Have you testet it too?

Are all problems adressed in this release?

Thanks for your reply.

Greetings,

laderio

0 Kudos
BrandonJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you're talking about the Fabulatech software, we've been running it for over 2 years now and it's been working great.  Once the warranty on our USB server is up, we might give that new Digi box a try just to see what it can do.

0 Kudos
laderio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was talking about the Digi AnywhereUSB/14. It seems to be the correct solution for us. By the way I have experienced that a colleague of mine is already using 3 of the boxes. One is only for replacement and I could get it for testing for a week or so. The other 2 units he is using in 2 different locations.

He also told me, that he is very satisfied with the box as he didn't have any troubles with usb dongles and he has several of them for technical software, like we do. So I think I will also get one of them.

0 Kudos