VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

USB over IP on ESX?

Hi,

We have a few servers that require usb dongles. As ESX does not support USB pass through we have all those servers sitting on physical hardware.

This is a shame as they are underutilized.

I came accross a product called Anywhere USB and I was wondering if this could

solve our problem. Turns out vmware has a whitepaper on it

Anyone used this? Can you share your experience?

cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
8 Replies
chandlm
Expert
Expert

I know many people have used the Digi product and it seems with good results. I haven't personally used that one but I've used a similar device with no issues:

AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Just read the Vmware whitepaper and it looks good indeed. Good to see their are alternatives too. Not too expensive either!

Cheers

0 Kudos
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use the Digi Product for my customers. This box abolutely well without problems.

Read the Operating Instructions carefully because VM (windows, linux) under ESX does not install the usb drivers by default.

The only one negative thing is, when you want to use one box with more then one vm's.

Sometimes one vm takes control over all ports.

Hope that helps.

Markus

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

Can you work around that tho? Some VMs would only have one dongle and it seems silly to buy one hub for each VM

0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

Splitting up the device to multiple VMs is why we ended up testing the Keyspan device. You can assign by hostname so hostA will always get port1 on startup, hostB will get port2, etc...

At least at the time when I got in the Keyspan device, Digi didn't support that at all but they might now.

0 Kudos
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not for now. I got an open support request with Digi. The told me that they trying to fix this problem.

Markus

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

I also use the Keyspan device for the same exact reason and it works flawlessly

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

We also use the Keyspan device for security dongles and tested the Digi product. We went with the Keyspan because it could handle more than one VM attaching to it and could be set to get the correct dongle. I have not tested it yet, but the newest device from Keyspan supports USB 2.0. I do not think Digi has an equivalent, but I could be wrong.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos