VMware Cloud Community
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB Anywhere

Hi,

we have 2 VI3 Server with some virtual Mashines. We bought a usb anywhere remote I/O concentrator and connected this in the network and installed a dongle on this one. On one of the VM we installed the drivers and we are able to use the dongle.

Now connect an another USB device (USB ISDN device) on the concentrator and we want to use this from another device.

But when i try to connect to the concentrator from the second virtual Server, the first one loose the connect.

How can i use usb anywhere from both Virtual Servers ?

Thanks for all

Ralf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't.

USB Anywhere only allows one system to use the USB devices.

Seems you have to buy another one or find another solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't.

USB Anywhere only allows one system to use the USB devices.

Seems you have to buy another one or find another solution.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You cannot do this. Please sign the post in the Feature Request forum to have VMware support USB devices in guests on ESX server! Requiring you to spend lots$$ of money on external devices which are mostly wasted (as you can only share the device with one guest) goes against the whole point of consolidation which virtualization is supposed to solve!!

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Exact, other point to have a second usb anyware is a good idea for security (redondant)

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Ralf-B
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all Answers

@Oreeh

Di you have a link for a documentation, where can i read that what i want to do is not possible! I have to show this my Boss Smiley Happy

@RDPetuska

Sorry, that i didn´t use the correct forum, i will my best for the future Smiley Happy

best regards and thanks again

Ralf

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have a link, but this is probably stated in the docs (or somewhere on the Digi website).

The forum was correct - we only ask you to add yourself to the feature request http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=65793

0 Kudos
sheetsb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using the Keyspan USB server. It allows you to dedicate either the entire device to a particular system, one port (four total) to an individual system or to share all or part of the system. We are using them with security keys (dongles) for two different VMs. They have a warning on the website that the product doesn't work with specific security keys.

Tech support is poor. We had some problems during testing with a modem that were never resolved and there is no list of supported USB devices. The support team also stated that they don't support VMware or Windows server products so the product specifications are misleading.

Bill S.