VMware Cloud Community
hernanm
Contributor
Contributor

UNABLE TO CLON A VM

Hi,

I'm newbie using VMWARE INFRAESTRUCTURE V3. I'm connecting using VMWARE VIRUTAL INFRASTRUCTURE CLIENT to the host and I want to CLONE a Virtual Machine. I start the wizard and I get the following message: "virtual machine folders are unavailable when connected directly to the host".

Obviosuly, I missing something...

I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Try connecting your client to your VirtualCenter server instead of directly to the ESX host.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Connect your Infrastructure client to you Virtual Center server not your ESX server.

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

and yes vmroyale types fater then I do :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After that I think you want also look at this post...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/822236#822236

Bye

E.A.

you do not really understand something

unless you can explain it to your grandmother

(Albert Einstein)

E.A. ______________________________________________ you do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother (Albert Einstein)
0 Kudos
hernanm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, but... let's assume I don't have a VIRTUAL CENTER in place. Is there any other way? (copying the directory like I used to in vmware server?)

I'm taking this ESX administration and in all the documents I read (Basic System Administration for instance) the direct host connection seems to be the best option for a single ESX server. Should I consider deplying VIRTUAL CENTER?

Regards,

Hernán.

0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes clone the machine and then aplly sysprep manually

Bye

E.A.

(Albert Einstein)

E.A. ______________________________________________ you do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother (Albert Einstein)
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Copying Server-Style will be your other option.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After apply sysprep you may also convert this machine to template and use this template for deploy new virtual machines in the future.

bye

E.A.

(Albert Einstein)

0 Kudos
hernanm
Contributor
Contributor

As I understand, sysprep is only required if I want to CUSTOMIZE windows guest machines. Do I need it for something else?

0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

right as you say:

sysprep is only required if you want to CUSTOMIZE windows guest machines

E.A.

(Albert Einstein)

0 Kudos
mmedise
Contributor
Contributor

SSh to the server and use vmkfstools -i "vmdk to copy" "destination vmdk" (one disk at a time, u can add & at the end to run as bg process)

Once the copy is done create new VM using VI client and add the copied disk to the new VM in VI client.

0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Hernamn

I hope we answered your question, if so please vote and mark your question answered. :smileycool:

Bye

E.A.

(Albert Einstein)

0 Kudos
hernanm
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, you guys amaze me. I sent my post and I get many answers within minutes. THANK YOU.

I finally end up following a Dan Norris tutorial for cloning VMs. A little 'complicated', but the step by step tutorial was a safe option and I was able to load the vm in 20 minutes.

Thank you!

0 Kudos